Looking for something to beat the heat? Here in Indiana, temperatures are soaring. We whipped up a bit of ice cream the other night and it hit the spot!
Unlike a typical ice cream, this version is made with coconut milk. This means it’s dairy free (if that’s important to you!) and it’s quick and easy to make since it doesn’t require heating a custard over the stove. It’s also naturally sweetened with some honey (though adding chocolate does cancel out a bit of the natural sweetness!).
Mix up the coconut milk and honey with some flavorings, throw it in the ice cream maker, add a bit of mint chocolate in the last few minutes, and you’ve got my favorite ice cream flavor! Though the body of the ice cream is coconut, it doesn’t have much of a coconut taste at all. The only differences we found were that it was slightly less creamy than a typical ice cream, and didn’t keep quite as long in the freezer. It’s best to eat it the day of making it.
We didn’t have a problem with that at all.
- 1 14-ounce can full-fat coconut milk (refrigerate before using if possible)
- 1 14-ounce can light coconut milk
- Scant ½ cup honey
- 1 teaspoon vanilla
- 2 teaspoons peppermint extract
- Pinch kosher salt
- 2 ounces mint chocolate
- In a medium bowl, whisk together 2 cans coconut milk, ½ cup honey, 1 teaspoon vanilla, 2 teaspoons peppermint extract, and a pinch of kosher salt.
- Freeze the mixture in an ice cream maker. Or, make it without the machine.
- Meanwhile, chop the mint chocolate. Add to the ice cream maker in the last 2 minutes or so. You can eat the ice cream right away for a soft serve texture, or freeze it for about 2 hours for a harder texture. Enjoy!