This mint chocolate chip ice cream is lusciously creamy and refreshingly minty: and it’s vegan too! Here’s how to make delicious vegan ice cream at home.
- 2 15-ounce cans full-fat coconut milk
- 2 tablespoons cornstarch
- 1/2 cup agave syrup
- 1 teaspoon vanilla
- 2 teaspoons peppermint extract
- Pinch kosher salt
- 2 ounces vegan dark chocolate
- Freeze the ice cream maker base overnight.
- In a small bowl, mix 1/2 cup coconut milk with 2 tablespoons cornstarch and set aside.
- Add the remainder of the coconut milk to a medium pan. Warm the coconut milk over medium low heat for a minute or two, whisking to incorporate the solids. Then add the agave syrup. Whisk in the cornstarch mixture. Heat until it mixture is thickened, 6 to 8 minutes (do not boil). Remove from heat and stir in the vanilla and peppermint extract.
- Strain through a fine-mesh sieve into a 1-gallon Ziplock bag. If churning immediately, place the bag in an ice bath for 30 minutes until cool; if churning the next day, refrigerate 4 hours or overnight (either way, the mixture should be as cold as possible before churning).
- Churn the ice cream in the ice cream maker until it thickens to the consistency of soft serve. Meanwhile, chop the mint chocolate. Add to the ice cream maker in the last 2 minutes or so.
- Eat immediately for a soft serve consistency, or for a hard ice cream texture, freeze using the following instructions: press a piece of parchment or wax paper into a sealable container, then scrape the ice cream into the container using a spatula, making sure to scrape in the bits frozen to the edges of the ice cream maker base. Freeze for 4 hours for a hard ice cream texture.
- Category: Dessert
- Method: Frozen
- Cuisine: American
Keywords: Vegan Ice Cream, Mint Ice Cream, Mint Chocolate Chip, Mint Chip Ice Cream, Vegan Mint Ice Cream