Sometimes the best meals are born of chance. We needed a side dish for our grilled portabello mushrooms at a recent cookout, so Alex spontaneously invented these grilled veg with herb pesto. He grabbed handfuls of assorted herbs from our garden and mixed them with some feta and olive oil to create a zesty pesto, which he served with sweet carrots and potatoes hot off the grill.
And goodness, these were good. Like lick-the-plate type of good.
So good that we decided the next day we had to share the recipe with you. We’ve been grilling up these vegetables ever since, as summer has us stuck in a grill rut. You can likely find many of the components for this recipe at your local farmer’s market.
And have you been growing herbs this season? We were happy to find a new way to put them to use with this pesto, which you could use in so many ways: sandwiches, pasta, fish, etc. The exact herb combination shouldn’t matter either – you can just use what you have on hand.
Happy grilling season!Print
- 2 tablespoons kosher salt
- 2 pounds small potatoes (mix of purple, yellow and red)
- 2 bunches small carrots (enough for 3 per serving)
- Grapeseed oil or vegetable oil
- Heat a grill to medium high.
- Fill a large pot with water and add about 2 tablespoons kosher salt; bring to a boil. Wash the potatoes and carrots, removing the carrot tops as necessary. If desired, tie the carrots together with string to allow for easy removal from the boiling water.
- Boil the carrots and potatoes until fork tender, about 10 minutes for the carrots and 25 minutes for the potatoes.
- Place the vegetables on a tray and lightly brush with grapeseed or vegetable oil. Sprinkle liberally with kosher salt (much of the salt will fall off on the grill).
- Grill for about 5-8 minutes per side, until slightly charred.
- 1 cup herbs of any type (we used thyme, oregano, rosemary, basil, and chives)
- 1 garlic clove
- ½ cup feta cheese crumbles
- ¼ cup olive oil
- Remove the thick stems from the herbs (thin stems such as thyme are acceptable).
- Place the garlic clove in the food processor and process for a few seconds to mince. Add the remaining ingredients and process for about 2 minutes until smooth and fluffy.