We couldn’t resist coming up with a new pizza flavor to accompany the launch of our new homemade pizza dough video! This variation is one of our favorites yet, with spicy Cajun seasoning taking center stage. We’ve paired it with our traditional no-cook red sauce and a surprise ingredient – smoked gouda – which takes the flavor up a notch! (And when you’re done, use the leftovers for this smoky mac and cheese!)
We hate picking favorites, but this one outweighed the rest in a our recent taste test. Something about the spicy seasonings combined with the slightly smoky cheese and garlic made it extra delicious. Feel free to customize to your own spice level and ingredient preferences!
For more pizza inspiration
- 1 pizza dough
- ½ cup crushed San Marzano tomatoes
- 3 garlic cloves
- Cajun seasoning (or a combination of oregano, paprika, cayenne pepper, and black pepper – careful with the cayenne, as a little bit goes a long way!)
- A few handfuls smoked gouda cheese, shredded
- A few handfuls mozzarella cheese, shredded
- ½ jalapeño pepper
- ½ red onion
- ½ green pepper (optional)
- Handful of corn, frozen or fresh
- Kosher salt
- Prepare the dough using either the stand mixer or food processor methods (you also can knead by hand; follow the videoinstructions for more). Follow the preparation instructions in the dough recipe if you’ve made it in advance.
- Place your pizza stone in the oven and preheat to 500°F.
- Prepare the toppings: Dice the garlic. Cut the jalapeño pepper in half, remove the seeds, and finely dice it. Finely slice the red onion. Remove the seeds from the green pepper, and chop it. If the cheese is not yet shredded, grate it.
- When the oven is ready, stretch the dough into a circle (see this video for instructions). Place it on a floured pizza peel or pull the pizza stone out of the oven and carefully place the dough on it.
- Quickly assemble the pizza: Thinly spread some of the crushed tomatoes over the dough; add diced garlic on top, then sprinkle liberally with Cajun seasoning. Sprinkle on as much smoked gouda and mozzarella cheese as you like. Top with red onion. jalapeno, corn, and green pepper (if using). Sprinkle with a bit of kosher salt.
- Bake the pizza: Transfer the pizza to the oven, and bake until the cheese and crust are nicely browned, about 5 to 7 minutes.