From fresh salads to quinoa to crispy potatoes, there’s not much that doesn’t go well with this healthy fish. Here are all the best sides to with salmon!
Salmon is one of the easiest healthy dinner ideas out there. If you’re a seafood lover, you already know: salmon is where it’s AT for quick weeknight dinners. But have you ever been stumped on what to serve it with? If you’re trying to keep things quick, sometimes it’s hard to find a fast side dish that can compete with the speed of salmon.
At the same time, if you’re serving salmon for a dinner party, there’s some room for making a showy side. Here are our best sides to serve with salmon, ordered in terms of speed! So if you’re making a quick weeknight dinner keep to sides at the top of the list. If you’re entertaining, head lower down the list.
And now, our best sides to serve with salmon (in order of cook time)!
These zesty steamed green beans are the epitome of an easy side dish! This healthy recipe is the perfect side to go with salmon.
- 1 pound fresh green beans*
- 1 tablespoon olive oil
- 1 tablespoon fresh lemon juice, plus zest from 1 lemon (1 tablespoon)
- 1/2 teaspoon kosher salt
- Fresh ground black pepper
- Trim the green beans.
- Place 1 1/2 cups water into a saucepan or pot and bring it to a boil.
- Once boiling, add the green beans in the steamer basket. Steam with the lid on 4 to 5 minutes until just tender (test with a fork).
- Carefully remove the beans to a bowl. Toss with the olive oil, lemon juice, lemon zest, kosher salt, and plenty of fresh ground black pepper.
*This recipe is easily doubled to feed a crowd.
- Category: Side Dish
- Method: Stovetop
- Cuisine: American
Keywords: Sides to Go with Salmon, Green Beans Recipe, Easy Green Beans,
Some favorite salmon recipes
Of course, we couldn’t leave you with just the sides! Here are our top favorite salmon recipes:
- 10-Minute Baked Salmon: Here’s a basic salmon recipe that comes together in minutes! Serve with zesty chimichurri sauce.
- Lemon Dill Salmon This fast lemon dill salmon takes just 10 minutes to bake! Mix up the zesty dill sauce while the salmon cooks.
- Broiled Salmon with Bourbon Glaze: Another super quick way to make salmon is in the broiler! This one is painted with a savory sweet bourbon glaze.
- Easy Cedar Plank Salmon: You haven’t lived until you’ve tried cedar plank salmon! This easy method of grilling on a wooden plank infuses a smoky flavor that’s irresistible.
Another fun side for salmon? Try Creamy Parmesan Orzo.
Wondering the best salmon to buy? Got to How to Buy Sustainable Fish & Seafood.
About the Authors
Sonja Overhiser is author of Pretty Simple Cooking, named one of the best healthy cookbooks of 2018. She’s host of the food podcast Small Bites and founder of the food blog A Couple Cooks. Featured from the TODAY Show to Bon Appetit, Sonja seeks to inspire adventurous eating to make the world a better place one bite at a time.
Alex Overhiser is an acclaimed food photographer and author based in Indianapolis. He’s host of the food podcast Small Bites and founder of the recipe website A Couple Cooks. Featured from the TODAY Show to Bon Appetit, Alex is author of Pretty Simple Cooking, named one of the best vegetarian cookbooks by Epicurious.