Want an easy lunch recipe for college students? This tasty chickpea salad sandwich features a vegetarian chicken salad using chickpeas: and it can be made in a dorm room!
- 15 ounce can chickpeas or 1 1/2 cups cooked chickpeas*
- 1 rib celery
- 3 green onions
- 1 to 2 tablespoons mayonnaise (or vegan mayonnaise)
- 1 tablespoon lemon juice
- 1 teaspoon celery seed
- Kosher salt & fresh ground pepper
- For serving: bread, crackers, wrap, hummus (see below), etc
- Thinly slice the celery (if it’s a large rib, cut in half lengthwise first). Thinly slice the green onions.
- Drain and rinse the chickpeas. In a medium bowl, smash the chickpeas with a fork.
- Combine the chickpeas with the chopped celery and green onions, mayonnaise, lemon juice, and celery seed. Add about 1/4 to 1/2 teaspoon kosher salt, depending on your chickpea brand and taste preferences, and fresh ground pepper to taste. Taste and salt until the flavor pops! If the salad is dry, add more mayonnaise (cooked chickpeas have a drier texture than canned).
- If serving as a sandwich, spread the bread with hummus (this amps it up a bit but not required). Top the sandwich with lettuce or greens and chickpea salad. Or serve with crackers or in a wrap!
- Category: Main Dish
- Method: Raw
- Cuisine: Vegetarian
Keywords: Recipes for College Students, Dorm Room Recipes, Chickpea Salad