Here are the summer salads you need now! From watermelon salad to classic potato salad, they’re perfect for cookouts and barbecues all season long.
Once the weather is finally warm, summer salads are where it’s at! Salads are a beautiful way to highlight the fresh produce of season: and they’re perfect side dishes for cookouts and barbecues that fill the summer evenings. Alex and I absolutely love outdoor entertaining, so we’re always look for great summer salads to accompany our grilled meals and frozen margaritas.
We have loads of salad recipes on this site, which makes it hard to choose. So here are 10 of our very favorite summer salads for all your summery occasion. For this list, we chose to include all side salads: perfect for pairing with burgers or to round out the pitch in table. But if you’re looking for main dish salads, check the section at the bottom of this post. We’ve got something for everyone!
Looking for a main dish salad? This Nicoise Salad Recipe is perfect for summer.
This strawberry summer salad is just right for the season, with a tangy strawberry vinaigrette salad dressing, pecans, and juicy berries!
- 1 cup sliced strawberries
- 1 handful thin sliced red onion
- 5 cups baby spinach leaves
- 3 cups mixed greens
- 1/4 cup chopped pecans, walnuts, almonds or pistachios
- 1/4 cup feta or goat cheese crumbles (optional)
- 1/2 cup Strawberry Vinaigrette
- Make the strawberry salad dressing: Make the Strawberry Vinaigrette.
- Prepare the salad ingredients: Slice off the tops of the strawberries, then slice them long-wise. Thinly slice the red onion (see the video for this method). If necessary, wash the spinach and mixed greens. Chop the pecans.
- To serve, place the greens on plates and top with all ingredients, then drizzle with the strawberry vinaigrette salad dressing (about 2 tablespoons per serving). Refrigerate the remaining dressing for up to 1 week.
- Category: Salad
- Method: Raw
- Cuisine: Summer
Keywords: Summer Salads, Summer Salad Recipes
Want more summer salads?
Don’t worry: we have lots more salads where those came from! Here are a few more summer salads we enjoy:
- Nicoise Salad Recipe (main dish salad)
- Vegetarian Cobb Salad (main dish salad)
- Raw Falafel Buddha Bowl (main dish salad)
- Chickpea Couscous Bowl with Tahini Sauce (main dish salad)
- Strawberry Salad with Balsamic Vinaigrette
- Burrata Salad with Arugula and Tomatoes
- Incredible Chopped Salad
- Radish Chopped Salad Recipe
- French Potato Salad
- Little Wedge Salad with Sour Cream Dressing
- Best Tossed Salad Recipe
- Vegan Potato Salad with Cashew Mayo
- Thai Cucumber Salad
- Wedge Salad with Potato Chips
- Mexican Quinoa Recipe
- German Cucumber Salad
Want a drink with that?
And here are a few of our favorite summery beverages to pair with these salads. Cheers!
- Best Frose Recipe (Frozen Rosé)
- Easy Frozen Sangria
- BEST Classic Margarita
- Daiquiri Recipe
- Lemon Herb Cucumber Water Recipe
- Strawberry Margarita with Lime Ice
- Lemonade Slushie Recipe
Last updated: March 2020
About the Authors
Sonja Overhiser is author of Pretty Simple Cooking, named one of the best healthy cookbooks of 2018. She’s host of the food podcast Small Bites and founder of the food blog A Couple Cooks. Featured from the TODAY Show to Bon Appetit, Sonja seeks to inspire adventurous eating to make the world a better place one bite at a time.
Alex Overhiser is an acclaimed food photographer and author based in Indianapolis. He’s host of the food podcast Small Bites and founder of the recipe website A Couple Cooks. Featured from the TODAY Show to Bon Appetit, Alex is author of Pretty Simple Cooking, named one of the best vegetarian cookbooks by Epicurious.