This mulled wine recipe is easy and classic, starring a bold red, mulling spices, brandy and orange. The ideal cozy winter cocktail for a crowd!
- 10 allspice berries
- 10 whole cloves
- 3 star anise pods
- 3 cinnamon sticks
- 1 750 ml bottle dry red wine*
- ½ cup water
- ¼ cup maple syrup or honey
- ¼ cup brandy or Cognac
- 1 small orange, for garnish
- Toast the spices: Add the spices to the bottom of a pot (or to a skillet for Slow Cooker or Instant Pot). Toast over medium heat for 2 to 3 minutes, stirring occasionally, until fragrant.
- Stovetop cooking instructions: Turn the heat to low. Add the water, then pour in the wine and maple syrup and stir. Warm for 30 minutes on low heat, just barely bubbling. Do not let the wine come to a full simmer (or the liquid will reduce too much).
- Slow Cooker & Instant Pot instructions: Place the wine, water and maple syrup in the slow cooker or Instant Pot (pressure cooker) with the toasted spices. Cook on low for 2 hours or Normal using the Instant Pot “Slow Cooker” setting.
- Add brandy and orange juice: When ready to serve, stir in the brandy or Cognac and the juice from 1 orange. Garnish with orange slices and if desired, rosemary sprigs.
*Double the recipe for a party: for the Slow Cooker and Instant Pot it’s nice to have the doubled quantities.
- Category: Drink
- Method: Stovetop
- Cuisine: Cocktails
- Diet: Vegan
Keywords: Winter cocktails