What’s more refreshing than watermelon? Here are our best watermelon drink ideas, from tangy margaritas to cool smoothies.
Calling all watermelon lovers! What’s more refreshing than the sweet, juicy flavor of watermelon? It tastes like pool parties, summer sun, flip flops and freshly mowed grass. So we thought, why not infuse that carefree flavor into some drinks to keep the summery vibe going?
Alex and I set about to create one or two watermelon drink ideas, but somewhere along the way we accidentally came up with 7! We found that watermelon is perfect in cocktails, but it’s also great in smoothies or just simply sipped through a straw as juice. Its bright pink color also makes it incredibly festive looking and stunning to photograph. Suffice it to say, we might not have made so many if watermelon was brown and drab.
What are the benefits of eating watermelon?
Side benefit to all these watermelon drink ideas: they’re full of nutrients too! Watermelon is a healthy food: and even if you’re only getting a little bit of it in these drinks, you can snack on the rest that massive watermelon to enjoy it in larger quantities. Here are a few of the benefits of drinking your watermelon — it is:
- High in lycopene, an antioxidant, which studies show could help curb your risk of cancer and diabetes as part of a healthy lifestyle. Watermelon has more lycopene than any other veggie!
- High in vitamin A, vitamin C and potassium.
- Full of water, so it’s very hydrating.
- A very low calorie food, and naturally sweet.
(Source WebMD: Health Benefits of Watermelon)
And now, let’s get to the watermelon drink ideas!
How to tell if a watermelon is ripe?
Have you ever gotten an unripe watermelon? We have, and it’s quite disappointing! It looks lovely but it tastes completely bland. Here are a few tips for picking out a ripe melon for all your watermelon recipes.
- To make sure you get ruby red, sweet flesh inside, look for a lighter spot where the watermelon rested in the field: it’s called a field spot. If the field spot is white, it’s unripe: if the spot is yellow, it’s ripe.
- The watermelon should feel very heavy, which means there’s a lot of juice inside.
This watermelon cocktail is vibrant and refreshing, featuring sweet watermelon, lemon, mint, and gin. Don’t forget the watermelon wedge garnish!
- 1/2 cup chopped watermelon
- 2 large mint leaves
- 1 ounce (2 tablespoons) vodka
- 1/2 ounce (1 tablespoon) Cointreau
- 1/2 ounce (1 tablespoon) lime juice
- 1 teaspoon simple syrup, optional
- For the garnish: small watermelon wedge
- Add the watermelon and mint to a cocktail shaker. Muddle (gently mash) them with a cocktail muddler or wooden spoon to release the juices.
- Add the vodka, Cointreau, lime juice and simple syrup (if using). Fill with ice and shake until cold.
- Strain the drink into a cocktail glass. Garnish with a small watermelon wedge, if desired.
- Category: Drink
- Method: Blended
- Cuisine: Cocktails
Keywords: Watermelon Drink Ideas, Watermelon Drinks, Watermelon Drink Recipes
More watermelon recipes
And, a few more watermelon recipes we love:
Last updated: July 2020
About the Authors
Sonja Overhiser is author of Pretty Simple Cooking, named one of the best healthy cookbooks of 2018. She’s host of the food podcast Small Bites and founder of the food blog A Couple Cooks. Featured from the TODAY Show to Bon Appetit, Sonja seeks to inspire adventurous eating to make the world a better place one bite at a time.
Alex Overhiser is an acclaimed food photographer and author based in Indianapolis. He’s host of the food podcast Small Bites and founder of the recipe website A Couple Cooks. Featured from the TODAY Show to Bon Appetit, Alex is author of Pretty Simple Cooking, named one of the best vegetarian cookbooks by Epicurious.