In the days before we started cooking, I didn’t pay much attention to cauliflower. It was one of those throw-away vegetables – the one that everyone passes up on veggie trays.
I’ll admit, raw cauliflower isn’t quite as appealing as some of the other veggies on the tray. But it’s a whole different ballgame when you stick it in the oven. Roasting cauliflower brings out a flavor and texture that’s so delicious, it’s hard to resist gobbling up an entire head in one sitting!
At least we think so. So to add to our current collection of Roasted Cauliflower with Apples and Dill and Roasted Cauliflower (classic style), here’s a Mediterranean-spiced version to add to your repertoire!
We developed this recipe as a compliment to our Mediterranean bulgur and chickpea salad, and they were the perfect match. This recipe would also work well as a side for a wide variety of main courses, or as a snack (it’s got that popcorn-like addicting quality).
- 1 head cauliflower
- 4 garlic cloves
- 1 lemon
- 2 teaspoons cumin
- 2 teaspoons coriander
- 1 teaspoon paprika
- 1/2 teaspoon red pepper flakes
- 1/2 teaspoon kosher salt
- 1 tablespoon olive oil
- Fresh ground pepper
- Preheat oven to 450°F. Chop the cauliflower into bite-sized florets. Mince 4 garlic cloves. Zest 1 lemon.
- In a large bowl, combine cauliflower, garlic, and lemon zest with 2 teaspoons cumin, 2 teaspoons coriander, 1 teaspoon paprika, 1/2 teaspoon red pepper flakes, and 1/2 teaspoon kosher salt, 1 tablespoon olive oil, and fresh ground pepper. Stir to coat evenly.
- Line a baking sheet with parchment paper and place the cauliflower onto the sheet. Bake until tender, about 40 minutes, stirring occasionally.
- To serve, squeeze over fresh lemon juice and if desired, add additional kosher salt to taste. Serve warm.