This delicious tomato lime Indian spiced soup recipe is tangy and creamy, flavored with garlic, cardamom and cumin.
Even when we’re at our most frazzled, like working 60+ hour weeks at our day jobs (guilty as charged), we still try to make a priority to have good food at our fingertips. Because these are the times when it’s easiest to start eating whatever’s convenient, or start snacking out of stress (again, guilty as charged). We’re not perfect, but we generally try to aside some time to prepare something nourishing. In this case, it was this tomato lime Indian soup.
In these weeks before spring hits in earnest, we’ve been experimenting with a few “multi-seasonal” recipes that work for any season. This Indian soup one is ultra simple and perfect for workday lunches or working dinners, since it can be made in advance and served chilled, as well as warm out of the pan.
Making this Indian spiced soup recipe
This soup is not so much Indian but Indian-spiced. Sauteed tomatoes, onion and garlic are blended with yogurt and lime to make a creamy soup spiced with cardamom and cumin. The flavor is surprisingly tangy and unexpectedly satisfying. We served it with homemade almond cashew crackers, which made for a hearty, protein-packed meal.
Perhaps you’re in a place of stress or little time. Know that it is worth it. One simple meal might seem like nothing, but starting a habit of choosing nourishing foods can have a lasting effect on your health. Start small, and you might be surprised at where it takes you! Serve this Indian soup recipe with salad, bread, or crackers.
What about you — do you have go to recipes or snacks when time gets tight? Let us know – we’d love to collect some more ideas.
Looking for more healthy soup recipes?
Outside of this Indian soup recipe, here are a few more healthy soup recipes we love:
- Golden Vegetable Soup Recipe
- Instant Pot Wild Rice Soup Recipe
- Easy Tomato Basil Soup
- Creamy Corn Chowder (or Vegan Corn Chowder)
- Tomato Basil Gnocchi Soup
- Vegetarian Tortilla Soup
- Cauliflower Soup with Moroccan Spices
- Ultra Creamy Leek Soup
- Curried Acorn Squash Soup
- Tuscan Soup with White Beans
- Creamy Vegan Tomato Soup Recipe
- 39 Healthy Soup Recipes That Make Any Day Cozier
This recipe is…
This Indian soup recipe is vegetarian and gluten-free.Print
This delicious tomato lime Indian soup recipe is a tangy and creamy soup flavored with onion, garlic, cardamom and cumin.
- 1 yellow onion
- 2 garlic cloves
- 1 tablespoon olive oil
- 1 teaspoon ground cardamom
- 1 teaspoon ground cumin
- ¼ teaspoon cayenne
- ¼ teaspoon kosher salt
- 28-ounce can whole peeled tomatoes
- 1 ½ cups plain yogurt
- 1 tablespoon fresh lime juice
- Fresh cilantro, for garnish
- Roasted salted pepitas, for garnish
- Chop the onion and finely mince the garlic.
- In a large saucepan over medium heat, heat the olive oil. Add the cardamom, cumin, and cayenne, and stir for about 30 seconds until fragrant.
- Add the onion, garlic, and kosher salt and cook about 5 minutes until the onion is softened. Stir frequently to prevent the spices from sticking to the pan (if it seems too dry, add a bit more olive oil).
- Add the tomatoes and their juices, lower the heat, and simmer for 10 minutes.
- Turn off the heat and let the soup cool for a few minutes. Then add the yogurt and lime juice. With an immersion blender, blend the soup in the pan until smooth (or transfer to a blender and blend).
- Serve immediately slightly warm, or refrigerate and serve chilled. Stores for several days in the refrigerator. If desired, top with chopped fresh cilantro and roasted salted pepitas.
Adapted from South Beach Diet Taste of Summer Meal Plan
- Category: Soup
- Method: Stovetop
- Cuisine: Indian-Inspired
Keywords: Indian soup, Indian soup recipe, Healthy Soup Recipes, Vegetarian Soup Recipes,