A perfect balance of textures and flavors, this sweet potato salad features shaved Brussels sprouts, roasted sweet potatoes, pecans, and Gouda cheese.
It’s a snow day of epic proportions here in Indiana. Being from Minnesota originally, most Indiana snow days are a little anticlimactic for me, but this one actually delivered. Huge, white flurries have been falling steadily, so picture perfect it seems almost manufactured. So what better than to curl up with a nourishing meal? Because we’re recovering from the heavy foods of the holidays, we were in the mood for something lighter. But we still wanted a cozy vibe. Hence, this roasted sweet potato salad was born! Keep reading for the recipe.
How to make sweet potato salad
This Brussels sprout and sweet potato salad is both comforting and fresh and clean. One of our favorite foods is roasted sweet potatoes. They’re simple to make, and we make them all the time. To bring in a fresh element, we’ve combined them with shaved Brussels sprouts into a sort of superfood salad. With a bit of balsamic vinaigrette and some bit of sharp cheese, the salad is bursting with flavor as well as nutrients. This sweet potato salad combines two basic cooking methods: how to roast sweet potatoes, and how to shred Brussels sprouts. Below are our methods for both!
How to roast sweet potatoes
Roasting sweet potatoes is very simple; we’ve learned to do it without a recipe. Here are the basic elements for roasting the potatoes for this sweet potato salad:
- Preheat the oven to 450F. We use very high heat for our sweet potatoes, which gives them a lightly crispy outside and tender inside. (However, note that sweet potatoes will never get as crispy as standard potatoes!)
- Dice the sweet potatoes. The smaller you dice them, the faster they’ll cook!
- In a large bowl, drizzle the sweet potatoes with olive oil and sprinkle with kosher salt. There should be only enough olive oil to coat the potatoes lightly.
- Line a baking sheet with parchment paper and bake until tender, about 25 to 30 minutes depending on how small you cut the sweet potatoes.
How to shred Brussels sprouts
How to shred Brussels sprouts for this sweet potato salad is actually more difficult than you think! Cut them the wrong way, and the pieces look all wrong. If you have a food processor, you also can chop off the ends and use the slicing attachment on a food processor to shred the Brussels sprouts. However, using a knife is just as easy! To get those signature shreds, here’s what to do — see the video below!
- Remove any tough outer layers with your fingers.
- With a large Chef’s knife, cut the Brussels sprout in half lengthwise.
- Place the cut side down and thinly slide cross-wise to create shreds.
- Separate the shreds with your fingers. Discard the root.
Looking for sweet potato recipes?
As you can see, we’re kinda sweet potato obsessed! Outside of this sweet potato salad, here are some of our favorite sweet potato recipes:
- Baked Sweet Potato with Moroccan Lentils
- Healthy Loaded Sweet Potato Rounds
- Roasted Vegetables
- Poached Eggs and Potatoes
- Sweet Potato Pizza with Brie
- Moroccan Stew with Chickpeas & Sweet Potatoes
- Sweet Potatoes with Thai Peanut Butter Sauce
- Baked Sweet Potatoes with Goat Cheese & Lentils
- Broccoli Cheese Baked Sweet Potatoes
- Sweet Potato Hash Browns
- Best Instant Pot Sweet Potato Recipe
- The Trick for Crispy Sweet Potato Fries
- All-Star Sweet Potato Chili
- Loaded Sweet Potato Skins
- Vegan Sweet Potato Soup with Harissa
This recipe is…
This sweet potato salad recipe is vegetarian and gluten-free. For vegan, plant-based, and dairy-free, omit the cheese.Print
A perfect balance of textures and flavors this sweet potato salad features shaved Brussels sprouts, roasted sweet potatoes, pecans, and Gouda cheese.
- 3 medium sweet potatoes
- 7 ½ tablespoons olive oil, divided
- ¾ teaspoon teaspoon kosher salt, divided
- 1 pound Brussels sprouts
- Aged white cheddar or aged Gouda cheese (optional), thinly sliced
- 2 tablespoons balsamic vinegar
- Fresh ground pepper
- 1 cup pecan pieces
- Preheat the oven to 450°F.
- Wash and dice the sweet potatoes. In a bowl, combine the potatoes with 1 ½ tablespoons olive oil, ½ teaspoon kosher salt, and fresh ground pepper; mix to combine. Roast for about 25 to 30 minutes until tender.
- Shred the Brussels sprouts: see the video below or go to How to Shred Brussels Sprouts.
- Make the dressing: in a medium bowl, whisk together the balsamic vinegar, ¼ teaspoon kosher salt, and fresh ground pepper. Gradually whisk in 6 tablespoons olive oil, 1 tablespoon at a time, until a creamy emulsion forms.
- To serve, place Brussels sprouts shavings on a plate, then top with sweet potatoes, slices of cheese, pecan pieces (toasted, if time), and dressing.
- Category: Salad
- Method: Baked
- Cuisine: American
Keywords: Sweet potato salad, Brussels sprout salad, Shaved Brussels sprouts, Sweet Potato Recipes