What’s the best way to cook Brussels sprouts? This roasted Brussels sprouts with Parmesan recipe bakes them at high heat to get the outer leaves crispy.
Are you ready for the best Brussels sprouts in your life? OK, good. Because if you’re still scarred by gross Brussels sprouts of your childhood, we need to change that! We often get asked: “What’s the best way to cook Brussels sprouts?” Lots of questions that we get asked can tend to be more subjective in nature. But this one has one answer! Roasted Brussels sprouts with Parmesan.
How to make roasted Brussels sprouts with Parmesan
This might sound crazy, but we are obsessed with these Brussels sprouts. Really. Obsessed with Brussels sprouts might sound a little too good to be true, but right out of the oven, they’re crispy and salty. Here’s how we make our best roasted Brussels sprouts with Parmesan:
- This recipe uses our Best Brussels Sprouts method, which requires one of the hottest temps in your oven: 450 degrees!
- Take your Brussels sprouts, cut them in half, and remove any of the hard ends on them (if some remain).
- In a bowl, stir them together with some olive oil, kosher salt, and fresh ground pepper.
- Then throw them onto a parchment lined baking sheet and roast them until the outer leaves start to get very brown and the Brussels sprouts are tender. This only takes about 15 to 20 minutes!
How to serve them!
In this recipe, to our roasted Brussels sprouts we’ve added savory Parmesan cheese: it’s the perfect compliment. And if you really want big flavor: you can use Pecorino Romano cheese! Pecorino is a hard Italian cheese similar to Parmesan, but with much sharper flavor. Now, the cheese isn’t a deal breaker in this one. For a vegan option, you can omit the cheese!
We’ve also stirred the roasted Brussels sprouts together with some toasted pecans for a contrasting crunch. The pecans are toasted in a dry skillet on a stovetop for a few minutes until they’re toasted and fragrant. Just make sure to watch the pan very carefully so the nuts don’t burn!
We know many of you out there might be scarred by nasty canned Brussels sprouts as a child, or just wary of this vegetable in general. What’s your thought — would you give them a second chance (or a first chance)?
Looking for more Brussels sprouts recipes?
Brussels sprouts have made a major comeback, especially roasted Brussels sprouts. Here are our favorite Brussels sprouts recipes:
- Instant Pot Brussels Sprouts with Parmesan
- Farro & Brussels Sprouts Soup
- Best Brussels Sprouts Recipe
- Shaved Brussels Sprout Salad with Pomegranate
- Crispy Brussels Sprouts with Goat Cheese
- Shaved Brussels Sprouts with Tahini Dressing
- Brussels Sprouts and Sweet Potato Salad
- Brussels Sprouts, Cranberry and Quinoa Salad
- Caramelized Onion and Brussels Sprouts Pizza
This roasted Brussels sprouts recipe is…
Vegetarian and gluten-free. For plant-based or vegan, omit the cheese.Print
What’s the best way to cook Brussels sprouts? This roasted Brussels sprouts recipe uses a high heat oven to get the outer leaves crispy and salty.
- 2 pounds Brussels sprouts
- ¼ cup olive oil
- 1 teaspoon kosher salt
- Fresh ground black pepper
- 1/2 cup chopped pecans
- 2 tablespoons Parmesan or Pecorino Romano cheese (omit for vegan)
- Preheat oven to 450°F.
- Cut the Brussels sprouts off of the stalk and cut off any hard ends, then cut each in half. In a bowl, mix them with 1/4 cup olive oil, 1 teaspoon kosher salt, and fresh ground black pepper. Roast for about 20 minutes until tender and browned, stirring or shaking the pan occasionally.
- Meanwhile, place the pecans in a small skillet over low heat, and toast, stirring often, until browned and toasted (be careful that they don’t burn).
- When Brussels sprouts are done, add the pecans and top with grated Parmesan or Pecorino Romano cheese. Serve immediately.
- Category: Side Dish
- Method: Roasted
- Cuisine: American
Keywords: Roasted Brussel Sprout Recipe, Roasted Brussels Sprouts, Best Way to Cook Brussels Sprouts, Healthy Side Dish, Best Brussels Sprouts
Looking for more fall recipes?
Outside of this roasted Brussels sprouts recipe, here are a few of our favorite fall recipes:
- Easy Pumpkin Soup
- Roasted Beets with Goat Cheese
- Cozy Curried Butternut Squash Soup
- Spaghetti Squash Spaghetti
- Best Wild Rice Soup
- Creamy Butternut Squash Risotto
- Healthy Pumpkin Muffins
- Pomegranate Cider Spritzer
- Stuffed Delicata Squash with Wild Rice and Sage
- Mashed Sweet Potatoes
- Roasted Vegetables
- Massaged Kale Salad with Apple and Pomegranate
- Poached Pears with Pecan Granola
Last updated: October 2019
About the Authors
Sonja Overhiser is author of Pretty Simple Cooking, named one of the best healthy cookbooks of 2018. She’s host of the food podcast Small Bites and founder of the food blog A Couple Cooks. Featured from the TODAY Show to Bon Appetit, Sonja seeks to inspire adventurous eating to make the world a better place one bite at a time.
Alex Overhiser is an acclaimed food photographer and author based in Indianapolis. He’s host of the food podcast Small Bites and founder of the recipe website A Couple Cooks. Featured from the TODAY Show to Bon Appetit, Alex is author of Pretty Simple Cooking, named one of the best vegetarian cookbooks by Epicurious.