The week marked an exciting event – our first garden produce of the year! Radishes are overachievers when it comes to growing, it seems. While most of our plantings still remain quite small (mainly greens, herbs, carrots, and turnips), these guys are already ready for eating!
And what better way to eat radishes than on toast? (Apparently we have the French to thank for the inspiration.) Instead of the more standard butter and radishes combo, I wanted to mix it up with some of our homemade yogurt cheese and some fresh chives we found behind the garage (score!).
The results? A delicious savory snack that tastes like spring! I was actually surprised at how well the flavors melded together, especially with the pumpernickel bread (another random inspiration). I’d highly recommend making the labneh for this recipe (it’s incredibly easy!), but cream cheese would work just as well.
Celebrate this season’s first produce and give it a try!Print
- 1 loaf pumpernickel bread
- 1 bunch radishes
- 1 bunch chives
- 8 ounces labneh or cream cheese
- Sea salt or kosher salt
- Fresh ground pepper
- Cut the bread into slices and toast it.
- Thinly slice the radishes. Chop the chives.
- Spread each piece of toast liberally with labneh or cream cheese. Top with sliced radishes and chives, and a bit of sea salt and fresh ground pepper.