These must-make pomegranate cocktails highlight the best of this brilliant red fruit! Try the margarita, martini, mimosa and more.
Pomegranate makes magic in whatever it touches: salads, desserts and smoothies. But one of the best ways to use it? Pomegranate cocktails! The brilliant ruby red juice and its sweet tart makes for a standout mixed drink. There are so many ways to use it: but our favorite is making pomegranate-flavored spins on classic cocktails!
Add pomegranate juice to classic margarita and it’s the perfect balance to tequila and lime! Or try it in a vodka martini for a beautifully bright red spin. Even the classic mimosa is better with a bit of vibrant juice! Let’s get mixing.
And now…4 pomegranate cocktails to try!
Bottled pomegranate juice vs fresh squeezed
Each of these pomegranate cocktails is versatile: you can use bottled juice from the store, or pomegranate seeds to make your own juice! Here are a few things to note before you shop:
- Try to find 100% juice. Pomegranate juice is sold sweetened and unsweetened. Try to find the 100% juice version! It tastes better and all our drinks are customized to this type of juice.
- Even better, make your own! Pomegranate juice is easy to make from the fresh seeds: you’ll just need to mash them with a cocktail muddler and then strain out the juice. Head to How to Cut a Pomegranate and How to Make Pomegranate Juice.
This pomegranate margarita recipe is perfection! Sweet tart pomegranate juice makes cocktail magic with tequila and lime.
- 1 ½ ounces (3 tablespoons) 100% pomegranate juice (purchased or fresh squeezed)*
- 1 ½ ounces (3 tablespoons) tequila blanco or reposado**
- 1 ounce (2 tablespoons) Cointreau
- ½ ounce (1 tablespoon) lime
- ½ ounce (1 tablespoons) simple syrup
- Kosher salt or Himalayan pink salt, for the rim (optional)
- Ice, for serving (try clear ice)
- For the garnish: pomegranate seeds, orange wedge or lime wedge
- Cut a notch in a lime wedge, then run the lime around the rim of a glass. Dip the edge of the rim into a plate of salt (or for a festive look, use Margarita Salt).
- Place all ingredients in a cocktail shaker and fill it with ice. Shake until cold. Strain the margarita into the glass with the salted rim. Fill the glass with ice, garnish with pomegranate seeds and an orange wedge or lime wedge.
*If all you can find is sweetened pomegranate juice, use half the simple syrup quantity (or add to taste).
**To make a pitcher of 8 servings, mix together in a pitcher: 1 ½ cups tequila, 1 ½ cups 100% unsweetened pomegranate juice, 1 cup Cointreau, ½ cup lime juice, and ½ cup simple syrup. Add three handfuls of ice and stir until cold. Pour into individual glasses.
- Category: Drink
- Method: Shaken
- Cuisine: Cocktails
Keywords: Pomegranate cocktails
More fruity cocktails
Love cocktails with fruit? Us too. Here are a few of our favorite collections: