These must-make pomegranate cocktails highlight the best of this brilliant red fruit! Try the margarita, martini, mimosa and more.
Pomegranate makes magic in whatever it touches: salads, desserts and smoothies. But one of the best ways to use it? Pomegranate cocktails! The brilliant ruby red juice and its sweet tart makes for a standout mixed drink. There are so many ways to use it: but our favorite is making pomegranate-flavored spins on classic cocktails!
Add pomegranate juice to classic margarita and it’s the perfect balance to tequila and lime! Or try it in a vodka martini for a beautifully bright red spin. Even the classic mimosa is better with a bit of vibrant juice! Let’s get mixing.
And now…4 pomegranate cocktails to try!
At the top of our list of pomegranate cocktails...here's a margarita variation that’s got us hooked. Try the Pomegranate Margarita! Sweet tart pomegranate juice pairs perfectly with tequila and lime, balanced with the orange perfume of Cointreau. You can use either pomegranate juice or fresh-squeezed juice from the fruit, making it perfect for whatever you have on hand. It's a great winter cocktail when pomegranate is in season: but honestly: we drink it anytime.
Ingredients: Pomegranate juice, tequila, lime juice, Cointreau, simple syrup
Looking for a fun pomegranate cocktail as a signature drink for your next gathering? Try a Pomegranate Martini! Crisp, sweet tart, fruity, and light: it’s closer to a Cosmo than the classic martini. It's a vodka martini made using pomegranate juice instead! Serve it up in a martini glass and you’ve got a sophisticated cocktail that’s refreshing and easy to drink.
Ingredients: Pomegranate juice, vodka, lemon juice, Cointreau, simple syrup
Here’s an impressive pomegranate cocktail: this Pomegranate Gin Fizz! The Gin Fizz is one of our favorite classic cocktails: sweet tart and refreshing, with a festive egg white foam. Take it over the top with this pomegranate spin: it elevates the sweet tart flavor and gives the drink a brilliant jewel-toned color!
Everything’s better with bubbles, right? Try the Pomegranate Mimosa! Sweet tart pomegranate juice is an ideal pairing with citrusy orange. Pair the two with champagne or Prosecco and the glass is full of bright red color and crisp flavor. It’s bubbly, it’s refreshing, and it’s downright fun.
Ingredients: Pomegranate juice, orange, Prosecco or champagne
Last up in our pomegranate cocktail recipes...the Pomegranate Cosmo! This spin on the classic cocktail might be even better than the original. The sweet tart drink pairs pomegranate, vodka, and orange liqueur in a symphony of flavor. You can use bottled pomegranate juice from the store, or make your own using the seeds from the fresh fruit. Of course, we love us a classic Cosmopolitan as much as anyone. But the Pomegranate Cosmo…well, you’ll just have to taste for yourself!
Bottled pomegranate juice vs fresh squeezed
Each of these pomegranate cocktails is versatile: you can use bottled juice from the store, or pomegranate seeds to make your own juice! Here are a few things to note before you shop:
- Try to find 100% juice. Pomegranate juice is sold sweetened and unsweetened. Try to find the 100% juice version! It tastes better and all our drinks are customized to this type of juice.
- Even better, make your own! Pomegranate juice is easy to make from the fresh seeds: you’ll just need to mash them with a cocktail muddler and then strain out the juice. Head to How to Cut a Pomegranate and How to Make Pomegranate Juice.
- Prep Time: 5 minutes
- Cook Time: 0 minutes
- Total Time: 5 minutes
- Yield: 1 drink 1x
This pomegranate margarita recipe is perfection! Sweet tart pomegranate juice makes cocktail magic with tequila and lime.
- 1 ½ ounces (3 tablespoons) 100% pomegranate juice (purchased or fresh squeezed)*
- 1 ½ ounces (3 tablespoons) tequila blanco or reposado**
- 1 ounce (2 tablespoons) Cointreau
- ½ ounce (1 tablespoon) lime
- ½ ounce (1 tablespoons) simple syrup
- Kosher salt or Himalayan pink salt, for the rim (optional)
- Ice, for serving (try clear ice)
- For the garnish: pomegranate seeds, orange wedge or lime wedge
- Cut a notch in a lime wedge, then run the lime around the rim of a glass. Dip the edge of the rim into a plate of salt (or for a festive look, use Margarita Salt).
- Place all ingredients in a cocktail shaker and fill it with ice. Shake until cold. Strain the margarita into the glass with the salted rim. Fill the glass with ice, garnish with pomegranate seeds and an orange wedge or lime wedge.
*If all you can find is sweetened pomegranate juice, use half the simple syrup quantity (or add to taste).
**To make a pitcher of 8 servings, mix together in a pitcher: 1 ½ cups tequila, 1 ½ cups 100% unsweetened pomegranate juice, 1 cup Cointreau, ½ cup lime juice, and ½ cup simple syrup. Add three handfuls of ice and stir until cold. Pour into individual glasses.
- Category: Drink
- Method: Shaken
- Cuisine: Cocktails
- Diet: Vegan
Keywords: Pomegranate cocktails
More fruity cocktails
Love cocktails with fruit? Us too. Here are a few of our favorite collections:
Is there a way to make this without alcohol? Maybe you could do a post on some mixed drinks that are nonalcoholic but not just fruit juice either?
This is on our list!
Sub orange juice for the Cointreau and use imitation Tequila from drinkfreespirits.com, I did both and it came out good
I love pomegranate cocktails! They’re so refreshing and perfect for a summer party.