This mini pumpkin pies recipe makes the perfect dessert! Each bite has just the right creamy filling and flaky crust.
Oh hello. Here’s a perfect tiny and cute dessert for Thanksgiving: Mini Pumpkin Pies! Over here Alex and I love anything that’s miniaturized. But these pies are more than just the novelty factor! They’re half the serving of a normal piece of pie, making them a healthy dessert option. They’re also customizable for gatherings of all sizes: you can make a half recipe if you don’t want to be stuck with an entire pie after the holiday! Even better: they’re incredibly tasty. Each bite has the perfect ratio of silky smooth filling to flaky pie crust. Ready to bake up this tasty fall dessert?
Filling ingredients for mini pumpkin pies
The filling for these mini pumpkin pies is so delicious, you probably won’t be able to resist reaching for another one. Ironically this combats the intention of a small serving size, but since 2 mini pies equals one standard pie piece, we won’t blame you! The filling is creamy and cozy-spiced, with just the right autumnal zing from the spices. You’ll notice that there’s none of the standard evaporated milk here. Here’s what’s in the filling for this mini pumpkin pie recipe:
- Pumpkin puree (not pumpkin pie filling)
- Whipping cream
- Vanilla extract
- Light brown sugar
- Spices: cinnamon, ginger, allspice, and nutmeg
Whip them up in a blender, and you’re done! Easy peasy.
How to make mini pumpkin pie crust: some tips!
The most involved part of making mini pumpkin pies is making the pastry crust! Here you’ll make a variation on our Homemade Pie Crust, then cut it into 4-inch circles. Here are a few notes on the technique:
- Chill for 30 minutes while making the filling. Chilling the pie crust dough makes it easier to work with, with less risk of sticking.
- Roll it out in an even rectangle: a pastry cloth can be helpful. It’s not required, but a pastry cloth is helpful for rolling out the pie crust. This is a canvas cloth that’s made for making pie crusts and cookies because again, it reduces sticking.
- Use a 4-inch circular cookie cutter or glass, or free-hand it. You’ll need to make 4-inch circles in the dough. We already had a 4-inch circular biscuit cutter, but if you don’t you can use a glass that’s 4-inches in diameter. Or, you can use a ruler and approximate it free-hand!
Use a mini pie pan or muffin tin
There are two types of pans you can use for this mini pumpkin pies recipe: and both work great! Here’s what to know:
- Mini pie pan: We used this mini pie pan. The advantage to this is that it has ridges so that the edges of the dough form into scallops as you see in the photographs. This is really only possible with this special pan!
- Standard muffin pan: You can also use a standard muffin pan: which you likely have on hand! The edges will be straight and not crimped as you see in these photos.
Variation: vegan mini pumpkin pie recipe
Do you eat plant-based? No problem! You can make vegan mini pumpkin pies by following our Vegan Pumpkin Pie recipe! The vegan pastry crust is made with coconut oil or butter, and for the filling you’ll use coconut milk instead of whipping cream. It’s extraordinarily delicious! It tastes so good, no one will know it’s totally plant-based.
Topping for mini pumpkin pies
Of course, mini pumpkin pies are best when topped with a dollop of whipped cream! And the best whipped cream is homemade. We promise: its light and airy texture and rich flavor will blow you away! Here’s our recipe for whipped cream, and a tasty variation you can use to take it over the top:
- Homemade Whipped Cream The classic! It’s so easy to whip up and tastes incredible.
- Infused Alcoholic Whipped Cream Try a hint of booze to really step it up! For this recipe, bourbon whipped cream or dark rum whipped cream would be fantastic.
More mini pie ideas
There are lots of mini pies you can make using this formula! In fact, just make up the filling for your favorite pie and pop it into this crust. Here are some ideas:
- Mini apple pies: Make these Mini Bourbon Apple Pies or use the filling ingredients from this Classic Apple Pie.
- Mini pecan pies: Try the filling from this Mini Pecan Pies recipe.
- Mini key lime pies: Try the zinging filling in this Key Lime Pies recipe.
This mini pumpkin pies recipe is…
Vegetarian. For vegan, plant-based, and dairy-free, use the crust and filling from this Vegan Pumpkin Pies recipe.Print
Mini Pumpkin Pies
- Prep Time: 1 hour
- Cook Time: 25 minutes
- Total Time: 1 hour 25 minutes
- Yield: 12 1x
This mini pumpkin pies recipe makes the perfect dessert! Each bite has just the right creamy filling and flaky crust. Want a vegan variation? Bake up this Vegan Pumpkin Pie as mini pies.
For the crust
- 1 ⅓ cups all-purpose flour
- ½ teaspoon kosher salt
- ¼ teaspoon baking powder
- 8 tablespoons cold unsalted butter
- 6 to 7 tablespoons ice water
For the mini pumpkin pies
- 1 ½ cups pumpkin puree
- ⅓ cup whipping cream
- 1 teaspoon vanilla extract
- ¾ cup packed light brown sugar
- 3 tablespoons cornstarch
- Scant ½ teaspoon kosher salt
- 1 ½ teaspoon cinnamon
- 1 teaspoon ground ginger
- 1 teaspoon ground allspice
- ⅛ teaspoon ground nutmeg
- Make the crust: In a medium bowl, mix the all-purpose flour, kosher salt, and baking powder. Cut the butter into chunks, then use a pastry blender or fork to cut it into the flour mixture until a coarse meal texture is obtained. Sprinkle 6 tablespoons ice water over the flour, mixing gradually with fork until the dough sticks together. Add additional water by the tablespoon until the dough comes together with your hands, but is not sticky (add a bit more water or flour if necessary). Form the dough into a ball and refrigerate in a covered container until the filling is ready, or at least 30 minutes.
- Preheat the oven to 350 degrees Fahrenheit.
- Make the filling: Combine all of the filling ingredients in a blender and blend until smooth.
- Roll out the crusts: After the 30 minute rest, if you have a pastry cloth, set it up and dust it with flour; otherwise, flour a clean work surface. Put on a rolling pin cover (optional) and coat the pin in flour. Roll out the dough into a thin 13” x 18” rectangle. Cut into 4” circles (using a circular cutter or ruler) and gently press into pan. Gently encourage the edges of the dough to scallop.
- Add filling and bake: Pour the filling into each crust, letting it slightly mound on the top (a little will remain, which you can discard). Bake the pies for 24 to 26 minutes until the filling cracks and the crust starts to brown. Remove from the oven and cool in the pan for 5 minutes, then remove to a baking rack and cool 30 minutes before serving.
- Category: Dessert
- Method: Baked
- Cuisine: American
- Diet: Vegetarian
Keywords: Mini pumpkin pies
More Thanksgiving recipe ideas
Cooking Thanksgiving dinner? Here are some of our best Thanksgiving recipe ideas for this special holiday:
- Mix up a mash of aromatic savory Garlic Mashed Potatoes (with roasted garlic!)
- Throw together a fancy spin: Gourmet Green Bean Casserole
- Go savory instead of sweet with Mashed Sweet Potatoes
- Make your kitchen smell like Thanksgiving with Classic Homemade Stuffing
- Wow everyone with restaurant-style Brussels Sprouts with Maple Glaze