This post may include affiliate links; for details, see our disclosure policy.
This delicious kale & pistachio pizza recipe features kale, red onion, and pistachio for a crunch, atop zesty pizza sauce and gooey mozzarella cheese.
We taught a raised bed gardening class a few weeks ago, and there was quite an excitement about kale. Seems like within the past few years, kale has become the new buzzword synonymous with health food. Being a dark-leafy grain that’s high in nutrients, kale is pretty darn healthy (at least, that’s what we’ve read). So we’ve been cooking up a bunch of treats lately with kale since it’s in season here in Indiana – first these potatoes, and now this kale & pistachio pizza. We must admit, if you’re looking for “healthy”, this raw kale salad is probably more up your alley. But we’re up for any consumption of kale, be it raw or cheese-covered!
How to make kale & pistachio pizza
Pistachios on a pizza? Yes, and it’s darn good too! This kale and pistachio pizza was the highlight of a recent meal with some dear friends. The combination of flavors and textures hit the spot: dark leafy kale, crunchy pistachios, and the zing of red onion fit perfectly with gooey mozzarella and bright pizza sauce. We have been incorporating nuts in our pizzas for a while, and love the added crunch! If you’re not a pistachio fan, you could try another nut, like walnuts, or omit the nuts altogether.
We’ve been making artisan pizza for quite a while, so to help you make this kale & pistachio pizza, we have a lot of tips! Here’s how to make artisan pizza, including the best pizza dough recipe, pizza peels, and even a pizza oven.
Related: 12 Best Kale Recipes
Video: How to cut kale
Are you wondering how to stem and chop kale for this kale & pistachio pizza but not sure the best way? Alex and I have toyed with various methods over the years, but we’ve finally ended up with one that is slick and simple. Using this method changed the game for us, and we hope it will for you too! Here’s our step by step guide for how to cut kale, including a video of me cutting kale in our kitchen.
Looking for more kale recipes?
Here are a few of our favorite recipes with kale on A Couple Cooks:
- Spicy Kale Lasagna
- Kale and Artichoke Frittata
- Garlic and Kale Soup
- Kale, Sweet Potato, and Chickpea Stew
- Tuscan Vegetable Stew (Ribollita)
- Baked Kale Chips
- Kale Caesar Salad with Cornbread Croutons
Looking for artisan pizza recipes?
This kale & pistachio pizza is a standout artisan pizza recipe. Here are a few of our other favorite artisan pizza recipes:
- Perfect Neapolitan Pizza
- Loaded Mexican Pizza
- Very Veggie Vegan Pizza
- California Veggie Pizza
- Homemade Easy Pizza Sauce
- Cajun Pizza
- Greek Pizza
- Homemade Margherita Pizza Recipe
- KitchenAid Pizza Dough Recipe
- All Our Homemade Pizza Recipes
- 29 Homemade Pizzas
Related: Want a quick pizza dough without yeast? Rye Pizza Dough Cracker Crust
This recipe is…
This kale & pistachio pizza is vegetarian.Print
Kale on a pizza? This delicious Kale pizza recipe features red onion and pistachio for crunch, atop zesty pizza sauce and gooey mozzarella cheese.
- Follow the Best Pizza Dough recipe to prepare the dough. (This takes about 15 minutes to make and 45 minutes to rest.)
- Place a pizza stone in the oven and preheat to 500°F. OR preheat your pizza oven (here’s the pizza oven we use).
- Thinly slice the onion. Wash and roughly chop the kale. In a small skillet, heat a few drizzles of olive oil, then add the kale and saute, stirring, for several minutes until the kale is wilted. Chop the pistachios.
- When the oven is ready, dust a pizza peel with cornmeal or semolina flour. (If you don’t have a pizza peel, you can use a rimless baking sheet or the back of a rimmed baking sheet. But a pizza peel is well worth the investment!) Stretch the dough into a circle; see this video for instructions. Then gently place the dough onto the pizza peel.
- Thinly spread the pizza sauce over the dough. Top with cheese, then kale, red onion. and pistachios. Sprinkle with a bit of kosher salt.
- Transfer the pizza to the pizza stone using the pizza peel, and bake until the cheese and crust are nicely browned, 5 to 7 minutes.
- Category: Main Dish
- Method: Baked
- Cuisine: Italian
Keywords: Pizza, Vegetarian Pizza, Kale Pizza, Italian Pizza, Pizza Oven, Vegetarian, Entertaining, Artisan Pizza, Kale