These gluten free banana pancakes require no special flours or wacky ingredients: just whole foods you’ll have in your pantry. And they’re so, so tasty.
If you eat gluten free, you’ll know that many recipes ask you to buy lots of funky ingredients. Tapioca flour? Xanthan gum? Or many recipes call for special gluten free flour, which can be full of additives. These pancakes though: these pancakes! They are gluten free banana pancakes that are made with only natural foods you’ll find in your pantry. Think: Oats. Eggs. Bananas. How do we do it? This delicious gluten free banana pancakes recipe that will change your breakfast table forever.
How to make gluten free pancakes
OK, so how to make gluten free banana pancakes without using gluten free flours or starches? Our first secret is old fashioned oats. This recipe is made in a blender, which blends the oats into a fine flour consistency. So, you don’t need separate flours at all! Basically, eating these gluten free banana pancakes are like eating a big bowl of oatmeal. Because they’re made with just oats and we have no gluten present, we’ve used eggs to hold them together. If you eat plant based, you can use flax eggs in place of the egg too. (More info on flax eggs is in this post.)
Another key here is bananas! The bananas help to add natural sugars and to add texture and binding. This also allows the gluten free banana pancakes to have no refined sugar: they’re just lightly sweetened with maple syrup.
How does it all work? Simply whiz up everything (with some spices and baking powder) in a blender! Somehow, using a blender makes it seem like magic and easier than stirring it together in bowl. (Maybe because there’s a little less mess? Who knows.)
For cooking these gluten free banana pancakes, you’ll use the traditional method on a griddle. One note is that because they have less gluten, you’ll need a gentle touch when flipping the pancakes. It should feel essentially the same a normal pancake, just try to be a bit more careful and precise. And that’s it! You’re left with all natural, incredibly delicious gluten free pancakes.
Pancake topping ideas
The easiest topping for these gluten free banana pancakes is, of course, a light drizzle of maple syrup! However, if you’re looking for some other ideas, here are some of our favorites:
- Add peanut butter or almond butter. Adding a nut butter adds a hit of extra protein: try our homemade almond butter.
- Add fresh or frozen blueberries. Place them right onto the pancakes after you’ve poured them onto the griddle (not right into the batter).
- Serve with homemade jam, like our chai cherry jam, rhubarb jam (or compote), or cranberry jam.
- Top with berries like strawberries, raspberries or blackberries.
This gluten free banana pancakes recipe is…
Vegetarian and gluten-free. For vegan, go to Vegan Banana Pancakes.Print
These gluten free banana pancakes require no special flours or wacky ingredients: just whole foods you’ll have in your pantry!
- 3 large very ripe bananas
- 2 large eggs
- 1 1/2 cups rolled oats, plus more for topping
- ¼ cup neutral oil (sunflower, vegetable or grapeseed)
- ½ cup milk or almond milk
- ¼ cup pure maple syrup
- 1 tablespoon pure vanilla extract
- 1 teaspoon baking soda
- 1 teaspoon baking powder
- 1 teaspoon cinnamon
- ¼ teaspoon kosher salt
- Oil, for brushing the griddle
- In a blender, combine all ingredients.
- Lightly grease a skillet with butter and wipe off any extra grease with a paper towel. Heat the skillet to medium heat.
- Before you start, make sure the batter is at a pourable consistency and not too thick: if so, add a splash of milk.
- Pour the batter into small circles and fry the pancakes until the bubbles pop on the top. Then flip and heat until cooked through and lightly browned. Serve immediately or keep warm in a 300F oven until serving.
- Category: Brunch
- Method: Stovetop
- Cuisine: American
Keywords: Gluten free banana pancakes
Looking for gluten free breakfast ideas?
Outside of these gluten free banana pancakes, here are a few of our favorite gluten free breakfast ideas:
- Acai Bowl Recipe
- Healthy Banana Bread
- Fluffy Gluten Free Waffles
- Banana Oatmeal Pancakes
- Pistachio Honey Gluten Free Donuts
- Healthy Granola Recipe
- Lemon Poppy Seed Pancakes
- Chocolate Blueberry Smoothie
- Pumpkin Pancakes with Maple Mascarpone
- Fluffy Scrambled Eggs with Goat Cheese
- Two Potato Hash with Soft Boiled Eggs
- Gluten Free Banana Muffins
- 53 Gluten Free Recipes
- Parmesan Herb Baked Eggs