These kale quinoa lunch bowls are the perfect plant based or vegan lunch! They’re full of healthy, nutrient-dense ingredients like kale, quinoa, chickpeas, carrots and bell pepper.
- 1 cup dry quinoa
- 1 bunch Tuscan kale
- 15-ounce can chickpeas
- 1/4 cup finely chopped shallot (or red onion or green onion)
- 1 bell pepper
- 2 carrots
- 1/4 cup olive oil
- 1/3 cup apple cider vinegar
- 1 tablespoon Dijon mustard
- 1 small pinch curry powder*
- 1 large garlic clove, peeled and grated
- 1/2 teaspoon kosher salt
- Fresh ground pepper
- Optional add-ins: Chopped almonds or other nuts, chopped apples, chopped cucumber, vegan cheese, etc.
- Make the quinoa: Go to Stovetop Quinoa or Instant Pot Quinoa. Make it in advance OR if serving immediately, bring the quinoa to room temperature: spread it in a single layer on a baking sheet and freeze it for 2 to 3 minutes until it cools.
- Prep the kale: Chop the kale. Sprinkle the kale with 1 pinch kosher salt. Coat your hands with a few drops of olive oil and massage the kale leaves for 2 to 3 minutes until all pieces are tender.
- Prep the other veggies: Finely chop the onion or shallot. Dice the pepper. Peel and dice the carrots.
- Mix the dressing: In a medium bowl, whisk together the olive oil, apple cider vinegar, Dijon mustard, curry powder, and grated garlic.
- Mix the salad: Mix the quinoa and vegetables together with the dressing and the 1/2 teaspoon kosher salt and fresh ground pepper. Add more kosher salt to taste. Stores up to 3 days refrigerated (you may need to add a pinch of salt before serving since it looses saltiness over time).
* A small pinch adds complexity without the flavor of curry in the salad.
- Category: Lunch
- Method: Stovetop
- Cuisine: Vegan
Keywords: Vegan Lunch Ideas