Here are the best falafel sauce recipes for your falafel sandwich! Try cucumber sauce, tahini sauce, cilantro sauce and more.
Making falafel and not sure what sauce to use? This Mediterranean fried chickpea fritter is stuff dreams are made of. You can serve it on its own with sauce, or stuffed into a flatbread as a falafel sandwich. Or serve it as a falafel salad, on crunchy lettuce drizzled with sauce. Falafel is served with a few different traditional sauces. Here’s a breakdown:
- Yogurt based sauce: often containing cucumber, dill or both
- Tahini sauce, typically with lemon, sometimes with herbs
- Cilantro sauce, herby and green, sometimes with yogurt or olive oil (like zhoug, used in Israel)
With this in mind, here are a few of the best recipes to use as a falafel sauce: whether you’re making a sandwich, burger, salad, or serving them as an appetizer.
And now…the best falafel sauce recipes!
Ways to serve falafel
Falafel can be served in so many ways! This tasty Mediterranean plant-based dish has lots of different spins. Here are a few of our favorite falafel recipes:
- Classic Falafel Serve with the falafel sauce as a dipping sauce!
- Baked Falafel Make shortcut baked falafel with canned chickpeas.
- Ultimate Falafel Sandwich Top with sauce and serve in a flatbread.
- Falafel Salad Add falafel to greens and top with tahini sauce.
- Raw Falafel Buddha Bowls This spin on falafel uses sunflower seeds and spices to make a raw salad bowl. Top with tahini sauce!
- Falafel Burger Serve it as a burger on a bun, slathered with the sauce of your choosing.
Here are the best falafel sauce recipes! Perfect on falafel sandwiches, falafel burgers, or falafel salad. For vegan, go to Tahini Sauce.
- 1 cup grated cucumber (1 medium or 2/3 large)
- 1 small garlic clove, minced
- 2 tablespoons fresh lemon juice
- 1 cup full fat Greek yogurt
- 1 tablespoon olive oil
- 2 teaspoons dried dill*
- ½ teaspoon kosher salt
- Fresh ground black pepper
- CPeel the cucumber and coarsely grate it. Place it in a clean tea towel or dish towel and squeeze tightly over a sink to remove excess liquid.
- In a medium bowl, stir together all ingredients, then stir in about 2 to 3 tablespoons of water, until the sauce is smooth and creamy (the water amount will vary based on the yogurt brand).
- Category: Sauce
- Method: Stirred
- Cuisine: Mediterranean
- Diet: Vegetarian
Keywords: Falafel sauce
More great sauce recipes
Want more sauces? Here are some more recipes to try:
- Cilantro Lime Crema Perfect for dolloping on tacos and roasted veggies.
- Special Burger Sauce Great for burgers and fries! It’s full of flavor: creamy, tangy, and reminiscent of a Big Mac.
- Creamy Cilantro Dressing It takes just 5 minutes and you’ll want to use it on everything: salads, tacos, fries, and more.
- Vegan Alfredo Sauce Easy to make, starring nutrient-rich cauliflower and protein-packed cashews.