Here are all the top zucchini and squash recipes to use the summer bounty! These veggies are so versatile: try them roasted, grilled, in muffins, and more.
Zucchini and squash are the very best summer pairing! They exude those nostalgic vibes of summer dinners on the patio. There are so many ways to use them: together or separately! They’re incredible roasted with Italian seasonings, or grilled until tender and smoky. Or, use them in baked goods like zucchini bread and muffins.
Here are all the best zucchini and squash recipes to try! Below you’ll see recipes using them together and separately. Here’s a tip: you can use summer squash in baked goods too! Just substitute an equal amount of shredded summer squash to breads, muffins and cakes. Speaking of…there’s a rich, moist zucchini chocolate cake that you absolutely you must try.
And now…the top zucchini and squash recipes to try!
More about zucchini & squash
Here are a few fun facts about these tasty summer vegetables! You’ll reap all the benefits in these zucchini and squash recipes.
- Zucchini and summer squash are part of the same vegetable family as melons, cucumbers, and spaghetti squash.
- They’re treated as vegetables in cooking, but are actually fruits!
- Cooked zucchini and squash are particularly high in vitamin A and antioxidants that may provide various health benefits. The highest antioxidant levels are in the skin. (Source)
This roasted zucchini and squash is baked until tender with Italian herbs and Parmesan cheese! It’s the perfect summer side dish.
- 1 pound zucchini (about 2 medium small or 3 to 4 small)
- 1 pound squash (2 medium small)
- 2 tablespoons olive oil
- 1 teaspoon garlic powder
- 1 teaspoon onion powder
- 1 teaspoon oregano
- 1 1/4 teaspoon kosher salt
- 2/3 cup shredded Parmesan cheese
- Preheat the oven to 425 degrees Farenheit.
- Slice the zucchini and squash into 1/4-inch thick rounds. In a large bowl, mix them with the olive oil, garlic powder, onion powder, oregano, and kosher salt.
- Line two baking sheets with parchment paper. Place the vegetables in a single layer on the baking sheets. Roast for 8 minutes.
- Remove the baking sheets from the oven and sprinkle evenly with the shredded Parmesan cheese. Return the sheets to the oven (on the opposite oven racks) and bake another 7 minutes until tender and the cheese is melted. Serve immediately.
- Category: Side Dish
- Method: Roasted
- Cuisine: American
Keywords: Zucchini and squash recipes, Roasted zucchini and squash
About the Authors
Sonja Overhiser is author of Pretty Simple Cooking, named one of the best healthy cookbooks of 2018. She’s host of the food podcast Small Bites and founder of the food blog A Couple Cooks. Featured from the TODAY Show to Bon Appetit, Sonja seeks to inspire adventurous eating to make the world a better place one bite at a time.
Alex Overhiser is an acclaimed food photographer and author based in Indianapolis. He’s host of the food podcast Small Bites and founder of the recipe website A Couple Cooks. Featured from the TODAY Show to Bon Appetit, Alex is author of Pretty Simple Cooking, named one of the best vegetarian cookbooks by Epicurious.