These plant based street tacos are fast and easy, full of bold flavor! Everyone will love this vegan dinner idea.
This post was created in partnership with OZO Plant-Based Protein. All opinions are our own.
Here’s a deliciously fresh plant based meal idea…that also takes no time to put together. (Sounds impossible, right?) Try these Plant Based Street Tacos! This vegan taco topping is our new go-to because it’s so easy and delicious, and everyone in our family loves it. The secret? Well, it’s powered by a plant-based protein that blew us away with the flavor and protein level, made by OZO Plant-Based Protein. It’s also a seriously fast dinner you can make in a flash. Ready to get started?
Ingredients in these plant based street tacos
What’s a street taco vs a standard taco? It’s all in the size. A street taco is made to hold in your hand and eat on the go, so it’s smaller than a regular taco. Street tacos are typically made with corn tortillas that are no larger than 5-inches in diameter. If you’re going authentic, you’ll want to double them up to avoid breakage! Here’s what’s in this plant based street taco recipe:
- 5-inch corn tortillas
- OZO Plant-Based Mexican Ground (see below)
- Black bean and corn salad (here)
- Pickled onions (optional)
- Hot sauce
The key: a great plant based taco meat!
What makes this plant based street taco recipe? The plant based taco protein: OZO Plant-Based Mexican Ground. After taste testing it, we were pleasantly surprised! There are a lot of questionable plant based proteins out there, and this one passed the test at our house. Here’s what we love about it:
- It’s got 20 grams of protein per serving. A lot of plant based proteins we’ve tried actually don’t have much protein! (Weird, but true.)
- It’s made of pea protein. Many plant-based proteins are made with gluten or unnatural substances.
- It’s delicious. The texture is great, and it already tastes like taco meat, so you don’t have to add seasonings.
Optional taco sauces!
These vegan street tacos are seriously simple, so you may want to jazz them up with some additional items if you have extra time. They taste delicious as is, but here are a few different creamy plant-based sauces you might want to try:
- Chipotle Sauce: This creamy, spicy sauce is made with tahini and adobo sauce (from a can of chipotle chilis). It’s the quickest to make of these options.
- Cashew Cream: Make it in advance: it’s our go-to creamy vegan sauce that makes anything taste better! You can also try Vegan Sour Cream
- Cilantro Sauce: This light green sauce is beautifully bright and has a zingy flavor! It’s also cashew based.
Tips on warming tortillas
The last tip on making killer plant based street tacos: make sure to warm your tortillas! There’s nothing worse than biting into a cold, leathery tortilla. Corn tortillas especially can break easily when they’re cold. Remember that with street tacos, you’ll want to layer 2 tortillas to avoid breakage. Here’s how to warm tortillas like a pro:
- Place them over the flame of a gas burner (preferred!). Place each tortilla directly on a gas burner for a few seconds per side, turning with tongs. This lightly chars the edges and warms the tortillas (so they’ll look like the photos). Then throw them into a tortilla warmer!
- Warm them in the oven. If you don’t have a gas burner, you can warm them in the oven. Go to How to Warm Tortillas.
More taco recipes
- Start the day with Epic Breakfast Tacos
- Make Easy Mushroom Tacos
- Try other plant based taco favorites, Easy Tofu Tacos or Black Bean Tacos
- Taste these fast and easy Amazing Egg Tacos
- Go restaurant-fabulous with Crispy Avocado Tacos
This vegan street tacos recipe is…
Vegetarian, vegan, plant-based, dairy-free, and gluten-free.Print
These vegan street tacos are fast and easy, full of bold flavor! Everyone will love this plant based dinner idea.
- 12-ounce package OZO Plant-Based Mexican Seasoned Ground
- 15-ounce can black beans
- 15-ounce can corn
- 1 cup fresh pico de gallo, aka fresh salsa (purchased)*
- ½ teaspoon kosher salt
- 24 small 5-inch corn tortillas
- 1/2 small red onion or 1 recipe Pickled Red Onions
- Cilantro, for garnish
- Hot sauce (or other sauce like Chipotle Sauce, Cashew Cream, or Cilantro Sauce)
- Make the black bean and corn salad: In a bowl, mix together the beans (drained and rinsed), corn, and pico de gallo with the kosher salt.
- Warm the plant based taco meat: In a skillet, warm the OZO Plant-Based Mexican Seasoned Ground, according to the package instructions.
- Warm the tortillas: Warm and char the tortillas by placing them on an open gas flame on medium for a few seconds per side, flipping with tongs, until they are slightly blackened and warm. (See How to Warm Tortillas.)
- Assemble the tacos: Layer 2 tortillas, then top with black bean and corn salad, taco meat, onions or pickled onions, cilantro, and hot sauce.
- Category: Main dish
- Method: Stovetop
- Cuisine: Mexican-inspired
- Diet: Vegan
Keywords: Vegan street tacos, plant based tacos, plant based taco meat, OZO plant based protein