This easy shrimp curry tastes better than a restaurant in under 30 minutes! It’s a Thai red curry flavored with coconut milk and curry paste.
- Jasmine rice (or basmati rice), for serving
- 1 yellow onion
- 2 garlic cloves
- 1 red bell pepper
- 2 tablespoons olive oil or coconut oil
- 3 tablespoons Thai red curry paste
- 15-ounce can full fat coconut milk
- 1 teaspoon fish sauce
- 1/4 teaspoon ground turmeric
- Zest of 1 lime (plus lime wedges to garnish)
- 1/2 cup water
- 1 teaspoon kosher salt
- 1 pound large shrimp, shell on or tail on (wild caught if possible)
- 5 leaves fresh Thai basil (or sweet basil), plus more for garnish
- Start the jasmine rice (or basmati rice).
- Mince the onion. Mince the garlic. Cut the pepper into thin strips.
- In a large skillet, pot or Dutch oven, heat the oil over medium heat. Add the onion and saute for 5 minutes, until translucent. Add the garlic & red pepper and saute for 1 minute. Stir in the curry paste and saute for 1 minute.
- Add coconut milk, fish sauce, turmeric, lime zest, water, and kosher salt and bring to a simmer. Once simmering, add the shrimp and cook about 4 to 5 minutes until the shrimp is tender and opaque, depending on the size of the shrimp. Stir in 5 large leaves basil.
- To serve, spoon the shrimp and sauce over rice. Garnish with additional chopped basil and lime wedges. Store refrigerated for up to 2 days.
- Category: Main Dish
- Method: Stovetop
- Cuisine: Thai
- Diet: Gluten Free
Keywords: Shrimp curry, Thai red curry, Thai shrimp curry, Coconut curry