What’s the best vegan egg substitute? Whether you’re baking cake or cookies or frying up a scramble, we’ve got you covered.
Looking for a vegan egg substitute? Whether you’re baking or making a scramble for breakfast, we’ve got you! Eggs are a great source of protein, and they’re also important in baking. The plant based substitutes for eggs vary based on how you’re using them.
For baked goods, eggs are important for the overall texture and structure. They’re often used as a binder, meaning they holds the entire baked good together. They also act as a leavener to help the baked good rise. With that in mind, here are a few of the best vegan egg substitutes: both for baking and cooking!
Best egg substitute for baking
1. Flax egg (baking)
Flax egg is commonly used as a vegan egg substitute. What is it? It’s simply ground flax seeds mixed with water, which makes a gel-like substance that works as a binder. Here’s how to make a flax egg: For each egg, mix together 1 tablespoon ground flax seed + 2 ½ tablespoons water and let it sit for 15 minutes. The texture is a little different when using flax egg versus egg. You’ll get a richer, more savory flavor with egg. But flax eggs work well structurally!
Works in: Brownies, cake, cookies, cornbread, muffins, quick breads
Applesauce can be used as a vegan egg substitute for baking! The ratio is to substitute ¼ cup applesauce for every 1 egg. Because applesauce has a lot of moisture, it’s not recommended for cookies because it makes them too soft. Note that with applesauce, baked goods won’t brown as deeply.
Works in: Brownies, cake, muffins, cornbread, quick breads
3. Tofu (for scrambling).
Want to make vegan scrambled eggs? Here’s what to do: make this Easy Tofu Scramble. Follow this recipe and you’ll come up with a texture and flavor that’s weirdly similar to the real thing. It’s quick and simple to put together.
Here are some of our recipes favorite that use flax egg or applesauce as a substitute for egg in baking:
- Vegan Apple Streusel Muffins Applesauce helps to bind together these apple muffins with crunchy topping.
- Healthy Pumpkin Muffins Applesauce also holds together these pumpkin muffins.
- Vegan Pumpkin Bread This cozy quick bread uses a flax egg to make it vegan.
- Best Vegan Zucchini Bread Flax egg also binds together this zucchini bread.
- Vegan Blueberry Pancakes A flax egg binds these pancakes together.
- Easy Vegan Cornbread Specially formulated to not need egg as a binder at all!
- Vegan Waffles Same with these waffles: no egg substitute needed!