Making chili but not sure what to serve with it? Here are the best sides to go with chili, from moist and tender cornbread to sweet potato fries.
Chili is always a hands-down hit in our house. But what to serve with it? Of course there’s the standard choice: cornbread. (And we must say, Easy Vegan Cornbread to die for!) But outside of cornbread, it’s harder to find a natural choice. Do you try a green salad? Balance a bowl of chili with a plate of something else? What are the best sides to go with chili?
Alex and I have wondered this: while we usually go with the typical cornbread, we wanted to branch out. So, we’ve brainstormed our 10 best sides to go with chili! And it was harder than we thought! Each item has got to complement chili with a comforting vibe, but also contrast it at the same time. Here’s what we came up with! This list is especially perfect for entertaining, if you’re hosting a chili night or chili cookoff party.
What are we missing? What sides do you serve with chili?
10 best sides to serve with chili
Want a chili recipe to go with those sides? Just in case you’re still looking for a favorite, here are all our best chili recipes:
- Best Vegetarian Chili: classic, lightly spicy and so good!
- 3-Bean Healthy Chili Recipe: stars a trio of beans and healthy quinoa
- Quinoa Vegan Chili: a hearty vegan option
- Mango Black Bean Chili: using mango brings a unique sweetness
- Creamy White Chili: features white beans and a creamy base
- Best Sweet Potato Chili: this all-star recipe features tender potatoes
- Vegan Crockpot Chili Recipe: got a slow cooker? This one’s easy to prep
Here’s the best side to go with chili: cornbread! This tender, moist easy cornbread recipe will become your new go-to. It tastes like box mix, but 100 times tastier.
- 1 1/2 cups medium grind cornmeal (fine grind also works)
- 1 1/2 cups all-purpose flour
- 1 tablespoon baking powder
- 1 teaspoon baking soda
- 1 teaspoon kosher salt
- 1/2 cup sugar
- 2 cups 2% milk
- 1 1/2 teaspoon apple cider vinegar
- 1/2 cup melted unsalted butter
- Preheat the oven to 375 degrees. Use coconut oil to liberally grease a 9 x 9″ pan.
- In a large bowl, whisk together the cornmeal, flour, baking powder, baking soda, kosher salt, and sugar.
- Whisk together the milk and apple cider vinegar in a liquid measuring cup. Melt the butter, then pour both the milk and butter into the dry ingredients. Stir until just combined. Pour into the prepared pan.
- Bake about 30 minutes until the center has firmed up and a toothpick comes out clean. Allow to cool in the pan completely, about 30 minutes. Then run a knife around the edges and invert. Cut into 16 squares and serve. Store any leftovers at room temperature covered with a towel for about 3 days, or in a sealed container at room temperature for about 5 days.
- Category: Side Dish
- Method: Baked
- Cuisine: American
Keywords: Sides to Go with Chili, Best Cornbread, Easy Cornbread, Cornbread Recipe
About the Authors
Sonja Overhiser is author of Pretty Simple Cooking, named one of the best healthy cookbooks of 2018. She’s host of the food podcast Small Bites and founder of the food blog A Couple Cooks. Featured from the TODAY Show to Bon Appetit, Sonja seeks to inspire adventurous eating to make the world a better place one bite at a time.
Alex Overhiser is an acclaimed food photographer and author based in Indianapolis. He’s host of the food podcast Small Bites and founder of the recipe website A Couple Cooks. Featured from the TODAY Show to Bon Appetit, Alex is author of Pretty Simple Cooking, named one of the best vegetarian cookbooks by Epicurious.