Here are all the best arugula recipes to use this healthy leafy green in your cooking! Throw it in salads, put it on a pizza, or stuff it in a sandwich.
Looking for all the best ways to add arugula to your life? We got you. There are so many delicious arugula recipes: and they’re not all salads! In fact, one of our favorite ways to use it is as a pizza topping! Toss it with a light drizzle of olive oil and salt, then throw it on after the pizza comes out of the oven. Instant freshness!
So let’s get down to it. Here are all the best arugula recipes for using this leafy green! Arugula is a cruciferous vegetable that’s full of vitamins and calcium! It’s a great choice if you’re considering adding more leafy greens to your diet.
Before we start: one note on baby arugula!
Quick note on types of arugula! You’ll find a few types available at your grocery store. Baby arugula is arugula harvested as a young plant: it has a fluffy texture and a mild flavor. Standard or mature arugula has tougher leaves and a very peppery, almost bitter flavor. It’s generally sold in bunches, vs baby arugula is sold in containers or bags.
Make sure to look for baby arugula for these recipes! We prefer it for its texture and milder flavor. Mature arugula we find to taste a little too spicy and bitter.
And now: our best arugula recipes!
Other recipes with leafy greens!
Love getting leafy greens into your diet? Us too! Here are our favorite ways to eat greens:
- The BEST Kale Salad
- Tuscan Lentil Stew with Kale
- Baked Kale Chips
- Kale Caesar Salad
- Veggie Packed Quinoa Fried Rice
- Spinach Apple Salad
- Chickpea Curry with Spinach
- Glowing Green Smoothie
Here’s the simplest salad you’ll ever make! This easy arugula salad is fool-proof: you don’t even need to make dressing. It comes together in minutes!
- 3/4 cup Parmesan cheese shavings (about 1.5 ounces)*
- 1 small shallot
- 8 cups (5 ounces) baby arugula (do not use standard arugula, usually sold in bunches)
- 3 tablespoons extra virgin olive oil
- 1/4 teaspoon kosher salt, plus more to taste
- 1 1/2 tablespoons lemon juice + zest of 1/2 lemon
- If necessary, shave the Parmesan cheese with a vegetable peeler. Thinly slice shallot.
- In large bowl, place the baby arugula, olive oil, lemon zest (optional), lemon juice, and kosher salt. Use your hands to toss everything so it’s evenly coated. Add the Parmesan shavings and shallot and toss for a few seconds until combined. Taste and add additional salt if desired.
*For quickest prep, buy a container of Parmesan shavings.
- Category: Salad
- Method: Raw
- Cuisine: Side Dish
Keywords: Arugula Recipes
About the Authors
Sonja Overhiser is author of Pretty Simple Cooking, named one of the best healthy cookbooks of 2018. She’s host of the food podcast Small Bites and founder of the food blog A Couple Cooks. Featured from the TODAY Show to Bon Appetit, Sonja seeks to inspire adventurous eating to make the world a better place one bite at a time.
Alex Overhiser is an acclaimed food photographer and author based in Indianapolis. He’s host of the food podcast Small Bites and founder of the recipe website A Couple Cooks. Featured from the TODAY Show to Bon Appetit, Alex is author of Pretty Simple Cooking, named one of the best vegetarian cookbooks by Epicurious.