Looking to spice up your pizza game? This vegetarian Mexican pizza is loaded with veggies and flavor. It’s the perfect veggie pizza for pizza night!
This post was created in partnership with Tillamook. All opinions are our own.
Perhaps you remember us talking about our favorite cheese at the moment, Tillamook? Tillamook is the #1 natural cheese brand in the West, and it’s expanded eastward to places like Indiana (yay!). You may remember we went to a weekend party in Detroit to celebrate? Well, we’re keeping it all in the family by whipping up a delicious recipe using Tillamook Sharp Cheddar Cheese–this insane looking Mexican pizza! The cheese is now available nationwide: you can find out where to buy Tillamook in your area here.
Related: Homemade Pizza for Beginners
The ultimate fusion: Mexican pizza
Along with Mexican pizza, let’s talk about personal growth. Sorry for that non sequitur, but hear me out! This Mexican pizza recipe is loosely inspired by this old Mexican pizza recipe. And looking at the old recipe and photograph are a bit like looking at a photo of myself in braces with massive gravity-defying bangs. We wrote and photographed the old Mexican pizza seven years ago. Seven years!
We had started A Couple Cooks as a hobby and had only been cooking for a few years. It’s easy to look back on our old work and feel ashamed or uncomfortable. But instead of being ashamed of old work or our past selves, we’re trying to push past and embrace it. Our recipe writing and photography has come a long way. And it’s good to remember those beginnings, gravity-defying waterfall bangs and all.
How to make Mexican pizza
This Mexican pizza though: it’s straight up drool-worthy and delicious! Our Mexican pizza is made with Tillamook Sharp Cheddar Cheese. Did you know that sharp cheddar is a component of shredded Mexican cheese? So it’s the perfect complement for Mexican flavors. If you’ve never had Mexican pizza, there are lots of variations on the theme, but this one’s our favorite. Creamy refried black beans are spread directly onto the dough instead of tomato sauce, then it’s sprinkled with shredded cheddar cheese, tomatoes, green onions and corn.
To put this one over the top, Alex created a special topping: quick pickled onions and jalapeños! They’re optional, but they bring a tangy flavor and beautiful color to the pizza. If you’re not into spicy food, you can omit the jalapeños and just use onions; however, know that pickling the jalapeños mellows the spice level, making them only mildly spicy. A dash of hot sauce, sour cream and some torn cilantro are all that’s needed to finish off the loaded Mexican pizza. We ate it with friends for a pizza night on our patio and it was so, so delicious! It’s vegetarian, but it has all the savory goodness of a meaty pizza.
We hope you love this Mexican pizza: let us know in the comments below or on Instagram! If you’d like, tag both @acouplecooks and @tillamook if you try it out.
Looking for another pizza recipe?
This Mexican pizza is a favorite pizza recipe of ours; here are a few more favorites on A Couple Cooks:
- Very Veggie Vegan Pizza
- Roasted Poblano and Corn Pizzas
- White Pizza with Pecorino, Scallions, and Egg
- Perfect Neapolitan Pizza
- California Veggie Pizza
- White Pizza with Pecorino, Scallions, and Egg
- Homemade Easy Pizza Sauce
- Easy Calzone Recipe
- KitchenAid Pizza Dough Recipe
- Homemade Margherita Pizza Recipe
- Best Ever Taco Pizza
Related: Want a quick pizza dough without yeast? Rye Pizza Dough Cracker Crust
This recipe is…
This Loaded Mexican pizza recipe is vegetarian.Print
Looking to spice up your pizza game? This Mexican pizza is loaded with veggies and flavor. It’s the perfect veggie pizza for pizza night!
For the quick pickled onions and jalapeños
- ¼ cup thinly sliced red onion*
- 1 jalapeño pepper (omit if you don’t enjoy spicy food, but the pickling mellows the spice)
- ¼ cup apple cider vinegar
- 1 tablespoon water
- 1 garlic clove
- ½ teaspoon dried oregano
- ½ teaspoon sugar
- ½ teaspoon kosher salt
For the pizza
- 1 dough Best Homemade Pizza Dough Recipe or Food Processor Pizza Dough
- ½ cup vegetarian refried beans
- ¼ teaspoon cumin
- ¼ teaspoon kosher salt, plus additional to taste
- 1/2 tomato
- 1 green onion
- ¼ cup corn kernels, frozen or fresh
- ¾ cup shredded Tillamook Sharp Cheddar Cheese
- 1 handful cilantro, torn
- Sour cream, for the garnish
- Hot sauce, for the garnish
- Make the quick pickled onions and jalapeños: Thinly slice the red onion and jalapeño pepper. Combine in a jar with the remaining ingredients. Allow to sit at room temperature for 30 to 45 minutes; it also can be made a few days in advance and stored refrigerated.
- Prepare the dough using the Master Pizza Dough Recipe (follow this video instruction for more). Follow the preparation instructions in the dough recipe if prepared in advance.
- Place a pizza stone in the oven and preheat to 500°F.
- Meanwhile, mix the refried beans with 1 tablespoon water, the cumin, and the kosher salt.
- Seed and chop the tomato. Thinly slice the green onion. Grate the cheese.
- When the oven is ready, stretch the dough into a circle; see How to Stretch Pizza Dough for instructions. Carefully place the dough on a pizza peel spread with flour or cornmeal.
- Spread the refried beans in a thin layer across the dough, then sprinkle with the shredded cheese. Top with tomatoes, green onion, and corn.
- Transfer the pizza to the pizza stone on the pizza peel, then bake until the cheese is melted, about 7 minutes.
- Garnish with sour cream, hot sauce, quick pickled onions and jalapeños, and torn cilantro.
*If you’re not one for spice, omit the jalapeño and just pickle the onions.
- Category: Main Dish
- Method: Baked
- Cuisine: Mexican
Keywords: Mexican, Pizza, Pizza Recipes, Italian, Pizza, Gluten Free, Vegan, Vegetarian