This Mexican pizza recipe features creamy refried beans, spicy jalapeño, and sweet corn. The perfect dish for when you can’t decide what to make!
- 2 balls Best Pizza Dough (or Food Processor Dough or Thin Crust Dough)
- 1 cup canned refried black beans (or Refried Black Beans, Refried Pinto Beans, or Instant Pot Refried Beans
- 1/2 teaspoon cumin
- 1/4 teaspoon paprika
- 1/4 teaspoon cayenne
- 1 small green onion
- 1 tomato
- 1 jalapeño pepper (or more to taste)
- 2 handfuls frozen corn
- Mexican cheese blend (or a mix of Monterrey jack and cheddar)
- Kosher salt
- Fresh cilantro
- Sour cream or Mexican Crema, to serve (optional)
- Pickled onions, to serve (optional)
- Prepare the dough using the Best Pizza Dough Recipe (follow this video instruction for more). Follow the preparation instructions in the dough recipe if prepared in advance.
- Place a pizza stone in the oven and preheat to 500°F. OR preheat your pizza oven (here’s the pizza oven we use).
- In a medium bowl, mix the refried black beans with a bit of water to thin the consistency so that it is easily spreadable. Mix with 1/2 teaspoon cumin, 1/4 teaspoon paprika, and 1/4 teaspoon cayenne.
- Seed and dice the tomato. Thinly slice the green onion. Seed and dice the jalapeño (keep your hands away from your eyes!); or if you prefer, thinly slice it. Chop the cilantro.
- When the oven is ready, dust a pizza peel with cornmeal or semolina flour. (If you don’t have a pizza peel, you can use a rimless baking sheet or the back of a rimmed baking sheet. But a pizza peel is well worth the investment!) Stretch the dough into a circle; see How to Stretch Pizza Dough for instructions. Then gently place the dough onto the pizza peel.
- Quickly assemble the pizza. Spread the bean mixture in a thin layer over the dough, sprinkle on as much cheese as you like, and add the red onion, tomato, jalapeño, corn, and cilantro. Sprinkle with kosher salt (very important – this really brings out the flavors!).
- Transfer the pizza to the pizza stone using the pizza peel, and bake until the cheese and crust are nicely browned, about 5 to 7 minutes. Repeat Steps 4 through 6 for the second pizza (if your stone isn’t big enough for two!). Chop the cilantro and add it as a garnish. Add sour cream and pickled onions, if desired.
Inspired by Everyday Annie
- Category: Main Dish
- Method: Baked
- Cuisine: Mexican
Keywords: mexican pizza recipe