Here’s a genius kitchen tip for how to store cilantro! It lasts for days with this trick for how to keep cilantro fresh.
Has this happened to you? You buy a big bunch of cilantro at the store, wrapping it in the provided plastic bag, and throw it in the refrigerator’s produce drawer once you get home. But when you reach for that precious bundle of herbs in the next day or two, it’s already starting to wilt and turn black! What did you do wrong? This exact happened to us more times than we can count…until we learned this trick that makes it last up to a week or more! Here’s exactly to how to store cilantro.
How to store cilantro
Cilantro, also known as coriander, is a fresh herb with a fresh, citrusy flavor. It’s often used in Latin American, North African, Caribbean, and Asian cuisine. The flavor can be polarizing: there’s even a genetic trait that causes an aversion to this herb! But it’s a very popular fresh herbs used in cooking.
The best method for how to store cilantro? Use a large a canning jar or herb saver! This method is easy and keeps the cilantro green and strong for much longer than placing it the produce drawer. Avoid storing it in the plastic produce bags from the grocery store, which make it wilt immediately. Here’s what to do (or scroll down):
- Use a large canning jar with lid, or purchase an herb saver. For cilantro we prefer an herb saver, because it’s just the right height and width for a bunch of cilantro. Here’s the herb saver we’ve used for years. (You can use it for any fresh herbs!)
- Add a few inches water inside and add the herbs. Place the cut sides of the cilantro into the water.
- Add the lid. The lid is what keeps the herbs perfectly fresh! They keep without a lid, but longer with the lid on.
How long does this keep cilantro fresh?
This method for how to store cilantro varies based on the freshness of the herb when you buy it, the herb saver you use, and your fridge. The cilantro should stay fresh about 1 week using this method, or potentially even more. We recommend using it within the first week that you buy it, but you may find it lasts longer.
What are you making with your cilantro? Let us know in the comments below. There’s a wide variety of recipes to make with this delicious herb. Here some top cilantro recipes:
- Make Cilantro Lime Rice or Cilantro Lime Shrimp
- Blend it into a sauces like Creamy Cilantro Dressing, Cilantro Sauce or Cilantro Lime Crema
- Make classic dips like Fresh Salsa, Pico de Gallo, Salsa Verde or Simple Guacamole
- Use it in a great Classic Falafel
- 1 bunch cilantro
- 1 large glass jar with lid or herb saver
- Find a very large canning jar or purchased herb saver. Make sure the jar is large enough that the cilantro stems won’t be squished or packed inside. Place a few inches of water inside (or up to the water line in the herb saver).
- Place the cilantro stems inside the jar, with the cut side in the water. (Cut off the ends if necessary to fit them in the jar.)
- Screw on the lid of the jar or add the top of the herb saver. Store refrigerated for up to 1 week (or more, if using the herb saver).
- Category: Herbs
- Method: Storage
- Cuisine: Herbs
Keywords: How to store cilantro, How to keep cilantro fresh