These hearty soup recipes are easy, cozy, and filling! Accessorize these cozy one pot meals with bread or salad.
When looking for a great soup recipe, it’s easy to come across lots of simple purees that while delicious, are certainly not filling. So here’s a list of our favorite hearty soup recipes that are filling enough to make a meal! These recipes are packed with loads of vegetables and protein (like beans and lentils) to make a satisfying and filling main dish. Accessorize them with bread and a salad, and there’s nothing better on a cold day! Ready to get to the recipes?
And now…our favorite hearty soup recipes!
More soup ideas
Love making soup recipes? Here are a few more collections of soups where you might find inspiration:
- Browse 30 Soup Recipes Everyone Should Try
- Try 15 Healthy Soup Recipes Everyone Will Love
- Opt for 30 Best Vegetarian Soup Recipes or 25 Best Vegan Soup Recipes
- Browse seasonal winter soup or fall soup recipes
- Try 10 Italian Soup Recipes
This classic bean soup recipe is smoky and irresistibly satisfying! It’s quick and easy in just over 30 minutes.
- 1 medium yellow onion, small diced
- 2 large carrots, diced
- 2 celery ribs, diced
- 4 large garlic cloves, minced
- 3 tablespoons olive oil
- 28-ounce can crushed fire roasted tomatoes
- 2 15-ounce cans navy beans*, drained (or substitute cannellini beans or pinto beans)
- 1 15-ounce can kidney beans, drained
- 1 quart vegetable broth
- 2 tablespoons smoked paprika
- ½ teaspoon cumin
- 1 teaspoon fennel seeds
- 2 teaspoons kosher salt
- Dice the onion, carrots and celery. Mince the garlic.
- In a large pot or Dutch oven over medium heat, sauté the onion, carrots, and celery for 5 to 7 minutes, until the onion is translucent. Add the garlic and cook for 1 minute.
- Add tomatoes, drained beans, vegetable broth, smoked paprika, cumin, fennel seeds (crushing the fennel seeds with your fingers as you add them), and kosher salt. Simmer for 15 minutes**. Taste and adjust seasonings if desired. Serve warm: leftovers keep well refrigerated for up to 3 days or frozen up to 3 months.
*Or, substitute any mix of 3 15-ounce cans of different types of beans. Navy beans are worth seeking out: the small size and buttery flavor is a nice contrast to the larger kidney beans. Or, substitute beans cooked from dry: use a total of 4 ½ cups cooked beans.
**The flavor should taste sweet and developed. If you aren’t using fire-roasted tomatoes, simmer 5 to 10 minutes more, and you may want to consider adding 1 teaspoon sugar to round out the flavors.
- Category: Main dish
- Method: Stovetop
- Cuisine: Soup
- Diet: Vegetarian
Keywords: Hearty soup recipes,