This chewy homemade granola bars recipe is so much tastier than store-bought! It’s one of our top healthy snacks to make at home.
- 1 cup creamy peanut butter (no sugar added; substitute sunflower butter for nut free)
- 1/2 cup honey (or 1/2 cup agave syrup for vegan)
- 3 1/2 cups Old Fashioned rolled oats
- 1/2 teaspoon kosher salt
- 1/2 teaspoon cinnamon
- Up to 1 cup finely chopped nuts, dried fruit and seeds, or 1/2 cup mini chocolate chips
- Toast the oats: Preheat the oven to 350 degrees Fahrenheit. Place the oats in a single layer on a baking sheet and toast them for 10 minutes until lightly golden. (This step adds incredible toasty flavor to the oats: don’t skip it!)
- Mix the ingredients: Transfer the oats to a large bowl and mix in the peanut butter, honey, oats, salt and cinnamon in a bowl. Stir in mix-ins.
- Form into bars: Add a sheet of parchment paper to a 9″ x 9″ pan, letting the edges drape over the sides. Place the mixture into the pan and press it into an even layer. Add a few more mix-ins to the top of the bars, if you’d like. Use a small glass to roll over the top to make them as smooth as possible.
- Freeze and cut the bars: Freeze the bars for 10 minutes. Then remove the pan from the freezer and use the parchment to lift the bars out of the pan. Use a sharp knife to cut them into 20 rectangles (that are 4 x 5 inches) or 14 bar sized shapes (that are 4 1/2 by 1 1/4 inches). Store in the refrigerator for up to 3 weeks. The texture is most solid after you refrigerate for a few hours, so if you have time do that before tasting the first bar. If you’d like, you can individually wrap the bars with parchment paper or wax paper and secure the wrapper with tape.
- Category: Snack
- Method: No bake
- Cuisine: Snack
- Diet: Vegetarian
Keywords: Healthy Snack Recipes