Here are all the best Medjool dates recipes! This chewy, caramely fruit is perfect for naturally sweet treats like brownies, energy bars and smoothies.
Medjool dates are about to take over the world! This tasty fruit is enjoying massive popularity lately as a natural way to sweeten foods. They’re in many energy bars you’ll find in stores, though they can be used in sweet and savory recipes alike. Here at A Couple Cooks, we’re big Medjool dates fans, and have lots of recipes to prove it.
Here are some of our favorite easy Medjool dates recipes! The most popular is our fudgy date brownies, where dates and nuts magically combine into a texture just like a fudgy brownie. Medjool dates are the key component of energy bars recipes, and they’re fantastic for sweetening smoothies and our “healthy” milkshake. Ready to get cooking?
Medjool dates fun facts!
Before we get to the recipes: here are a few things to note about these caramely sweet superfoods:
- Are Medjool dates dried? No, Medjool dates are fresh fruits! Medjool dates are harvested from the date palm tree and then packaged immediately. There’s no processing, so they’re not dried!
- What is the white powder on Medjool dates? It’s perfectly normal, not mold! It’s just the natural sugars in the date rising to the skin.
- Where to buy Medjool dates? Look in your grocery in the produce aisle (many times next to the bananas), or near the dried fruits. You can also order them online.
- How to store Medjool dates? Store them at room temperature for 1 to 2 months, in the refrigerator for up to 6 months, and about 1 year frozen. (Source)
And now…our top easy Medjool dates recipes!
Our top Medjool dates recipe: goat cheese stuffed dates! These beauties are incredibly easy to make, and the flavor of this simple pairing is outrageous. Pair the sweet caramel chewiness of Medjool dates with tangy, fluffy goat cheese, and the sweet-savory combo is out of this world. It also works as a quick snack or “side” for a healthy lunch, and involves no cooking at all. For plant based, use nut butter instead (peanut butter, almond butter, cashew butter, or nut butter).
The most "famous" of all Medjool date recipes? Raw brownies! You'll never believe the dark chocolatey flavor and chewy texture of this easy no bake treat. Simply blend together Medjool dates, cocoa powder and walnuts, and it forms a magical concoction that you'll have to taste to believe. We've been making these for years as a tasty naturally sweet treat: we hope you'll love them as much as we do!
The other arguably most popular Medjool date recipe: energy bars! Did you know that many of the energy bars you see in stores are made with Medjool dates? This recipe is like a copycat Larabar with a pecan pie flavor! It's made with pecans, dates, oats, chia seeds, and cinnamon. This tasty bar is full of nutrients and lots of fiber (10% of your daily need).
Got dates on hand? Let’s make a Date Smoothie! Medjool dates are ideal in smoothies: they’re a natural sweetener with a caramelly sweet flavor. They add a great source of fiber and enhance the creamy texture of a smoothie. Here’s how to make a naturally sweet smoothie using this tasty fruit.
Here's another fantastic energy bars recipe made with Medjool dates! This one is like a Larabar too, but it's made with cashews and almonds. The concept couldn't be easier: simply blend dates, almonds, cashews and cinnamon together in a food processor, then press it into an even layer. We like to freeze our energy bars for a few minutes before cutting them, which helps the dough set. For a seasonal variation, try adding Pumpkin Pie Spice!
Buckeyes are those gooey peanut butter balls covered in chocolate! While they're often eaten during the holiday season, you can eat these tasty morsels all year round. They're a sweet treat that is great for parties, gatherings, or book clubs. This recipe is a healthy spin on buckeyes using Medjool dates for the filling instead of butter! It makes for a decadent-tasting plant based dessert.
Here's a fun way to dress up those brownies made with Medjool dates: make them into a parfait! This parfait is a healthy spin on the standard, made with sweetened Greek yogurt. There's a gooey triple berry compote made with strawberries, blackberries and raspberries. And to top it off? Crumbles of raw brownies! They made for the perfect contrasting fudgy texture. A more decadent way to eat raw brownies? This Brownie Ice Cream Sandwich.
Ever tried a date shake? This Palm Springs signature drink is an unexpected combination that works: creamy vanilla ice cream and Medjool dates. Take one sip and it’s a revelation: creamy, aromatic vanilla ice cream is the ideal pairing for the caramel flavor of this fruit.
These healthy vegan energy bars are similar to homemade Larabars, but with a little more texture. Like the raw brownie, they’re gluten-free and all natural, made mainly of Medjool dates and nuts. This version uses hazelnuts for a more complex flavor, and dried tart cherries for a tangy note that compliments the sweet.
Last up in our Medjool dates recipes: this healthy chocolate milkshake! Here's a way to get your milkshake without feeling sick afterwards. You'll place coconut milk in an ice cube tray and freeze it, then blend the cubes with cocoa powder and Medjool dates. It tastes rich and chocolatey, but fresh and light at the same time!
Stuffed Medjool Dates
- Prep Time: 15 minutes
- Cook Time: 0 minutes
- Total Time: 15 minutes
- Yield: 24 1x
Here’s an easy finger food recipe: stuffed Mejool dates! They’re quick to make, and the sweet and savory combo keeps everyone coming back for more.
- 24 Medjool dates
- 4 ounces soft goat cheese* (helpful if it’s come to room temperature**)
- 3 tablespoons pistachios
- Sea salt and fresh ground black pepper
- Smoked paprika
- Optional: honey
- Use a knife to make a lengthwise slit into the dates, then remove the pits. Use a spoon to fill them with goat cheese.
- Crush the pistachios with a rolling pin.
- Top each with a tiny sprinkle of black pepper, sea salt and the tiniest bit of smoked paprika (just a tiny sprinkle has big flavor). Sprinkle on pistachio dust. If desired, add the tiniest drizzle of honey (again, use a small amount to heighten the flavor; too much and it overwhelms).
*For vegan, plant-based and dairy-free diets, try nut butter, peanut butter, almond butter, or cashew butter.
**The goat cheese is easier to work with at room temperature. If you don’t have time to set it out, just use your hands to mash it around in the package a little bit so it becomes softer.
- Category: Appetizer
- Method: Raw
- Cuisine: Mediterranean
- Serving Size: 1 date
Keywords: Medjool dates recipes
More plant based treats
Mejool dates are perfect for plant based treats! If you like these, here are a few more healthy plant based desserts you might enjoy:
- “Bliss Bites” Healthy No-Bake Cookies Truly bliss in a bite, these healthy no bake cookies are made with chocolate and peanut butter. Easy and delicious, they are an all-time fan favorite!
- Chocolate Cherry Dessert Bites These decadent-tasting chocolate cherry dessert bites are made of clean ingredients: just cocoa, maple, coconut oil, oats, almonds and cherries!
- Fudgy Vegan Brownies Naturally sweet, gluten-free, and plant-based, this fudgy vegan brownie recipe is rich but nutrient dense, made fully of whole foods.
I luv medjool dates, would luv more recipes!!!
Love your recipe s