This ginger cookie ice cream sandwich is a delicious treat! With mini gingersnaps and peppermint ice cream, it’s perfect as a Christmas dessert recipe.
Here we are in December, and we feel like our heads are still stuck in mid-summer. Maybe it was the breakneck speed of our house and kitchen renovation throughout the summer and early fall, or the relentless pace of our jobs. Whatever the case, we’ve been in desperate need of margin, which we finally got the sweet taste of these past few days. This margin has given us some time to come up with some ideas for you for the holiday season (which incidentally we’re having a hard time believing is really here!). Keep reading for the ginger cookie ice cream sandwich recipe!
Making this ginger cookie ice cream sandwich recipe
For Christmas and the holiday season, Alex and I love to come up with a few different ideas. Typically we focus on healthy, whole food, simple recipes. But for this cookie ice cream sandwich recipe, we thought we’d get the holiday season started out right with a traditional, festive baked good! It’s made with good old butter, sugar, and flour.
For this cookie ice cream sandwich recipe, we’ve combined our favorite ginger molasses cookies with our coconut milk peppermint ice cream recipe to create a tasty sandwich (that happens to be dairy-free or vegan). You’ll have to carve out some time for this one – it’s best when the ice cream is made the day before, and the cookies are fully cooled before assembling the ice cream sandwiches (we learned that the hard way!). But all the work is absolutely work it for the flavor! These ginger cookie ice cream sandwich
Next up are a few easy, natural (and gluten-free) treats that are still festive and fit for the holiday table, as well as an elegant entree for the holiday table. We can’t wait to share them with you. Cheers to the holidays – may they be full of margin and joy for you!
What are your favorite holiday recipes? We’d love to hear your favorites.
Looking for Christmas cookie recipes?
Aside from these gingersnap ice cream sandwiches, here are a few of our favorite Christmas cookie recipes:
- Narwhal Gingerbread Cutout Cookies
- Soft Gingerbread Cookies
- Peppermint Meringues
- Chai Spiced Snowball Cookies
- The Best Soft Ginger Molasses Cookies
- Shortbread Cookies with Chocolate Drizzle
- Cherry Quinoa Chocolate Bark
- Healthy Peanut Butter Buckeye Balls
- Gingersnap Sandwich Cookies
- Cranberry Pistachio Chocolate Clusters
- Easy Peppermint Bark
This recipe is…
This ginger cookie ice cream sandwich recipe is vegetarian.Print
For the peppermint ice cream (or use purchased ice cream)
- 14-ounce can regular coconut milk
- 14-ounce can light coconut milk
- ½ cup honey
- 1 teaspoon vanilla
- 2 teaspoons peppermint extract
For the cookie ice cream sandwich
- Soft ginger molasses cookies
- 4 candy canes or assorted peppermint candies
- The night before serving, make the ice cream: In a medium bowl, whisk together 2 cans coconut milk, ½ cup honey, 1 teaspoon vanilla, and 2 teaspoons peppermint extract. Freeze the mixture in an ice cream maker (or make it without the machine). Transfer to an airtight container and freeze overnight.
- Make the ginger cookies. To make mini cookies as pictured above, roll dough into into 3/4 to 1-inch balls. Cool cookies completely before assembly.
- To assemble, crush the candy canes by placing them in a sealable bag and crushing with a rolling pin. On each cookie, spread some peppermint ice cream; top with another cookie. Roll the outside of the ice cream with peppermint candies (or use your fingers to line the ice cream). Freeze in a sealable container. Serve frozen within a few minutes from removing from the freezer.
Keywords: Cookie, Cookie Ice Cream Sandwich, Ice Cream, Peppermint, Ginger, Ginger Cookie, Gingersnap, Holiday, Christmas, Christmas Dessert