Before we had much experience in the kitchen, we were “by the book” type of people and would follow recipes exactly when we tried to make a meal. Either that, or Alex would “wing it” and dump everything in the refrigerator into a skillet and call it dinner. (OK, so we still do that sometimes.)
Now that we have a bit more experience under our belts, we finally feel like we can look at what’s in the garden or in the fridge and come up with something somewhat tasty.
We currently have a load of fresh dill in the garden, which I couldn’t be more happy about, since I’ve decided it may be my new fresh herb of choice (move over, basil!). One of my new favorite ways to use it is to chop it up, mix it with a bit of Greek yogurt, garlic powder, and salt, and use it as a quick and delicious dressing.
This salad was literally a “clean out the fridge” meal that ended up being so good, we snapped a photo to share it with you! You can use any beans or fresh veggies you have on hand (I also added some queso fresco I found in our cheese drawer – feta or any other cheese would also work). Fresh dill is an integral part to the delicious flavor here – it’s worth looking for some if you can find it!
More on dill soon…
Our Herb Series
Garlic Herb Focaccia Bread
Lemon Mint Slush
Scrambled Eggs with Fresh Herbs
Strawberries with Balsamic, Greek Yogurt and Mint (and Video)
How to Start Growing Herbs (Video)
How to Chiffonade (Video)
You can substitute any beans or vegetables for this recipe, which works well for a “clean out the fridge or pantry” style salad. The yogurt dressing is best with fresh dill, if you have it on hand or can find it.
- 15-ounce can chickpeas
- 1 can pinto beans (or substitute any cooked beans, about 3 cups total)
- 2 green onions
- 2 to 3 carrots
- 6 radishes (or substitute any fresh vegetables)
- Feta or queso fresco crumbles (optional – or any cheese of choice)
- 2 tablespoons Greek yogurt (full fat preferable)
- 1 handful fresh dill
- ½ teaspoon kosher salt
- ½ teaspoon garlic powder
- Fresh ground pepper
- Drain and rinse the chickpeas and beans, if canned. Wash the vegetables, and thinly slice them. Chop the fresh dill.
- Mix the chickpeas, beans, and vegetables together. If desired, add feta or queso fresco crumbles. Add a few spoonfuls of Greek yogurt, fresh dill, 1/2 teaspoon kosher salt, 1/2 teaspoon garlic powder, and some fresh ground pepper. Taste, and add additional seasonings or more Greek yogurt to get to the desired taste and consistency.