Avocado oil is a new trendy oil, and it’s here to stay! This healthy Avocado Oil Vinaigrette shows how to make homemade salad dressing with avocado oil.
This California Salad with Avocado Oil Vinaigrette was created in partnership with DeLallo. All opinions are our own.
Our Pretty Simple Cooking book tour took us all over the country, and on the road we stayed in the homes of friends or family. I love seeing what’s inside people’s kitchens, and on these visits one thing stuck out to me. Several times, I noticed avocado oil sitting on the counter. Olive oil is pretty standard, but I was intrigued: why avocado oil? When I asked this question to separate friends, they all had a similar answer. Avocado oil is a neutral-tasting cooking oil with a very high smoke point, so it’s perfect for sauteing and frying. And, it has a unique flavor that’s delicious when drizzled over salad greens or whisked into an avocado oil vinaigrette. Is avocado oil the trendy new thing? Yes, but it seems like it’s here to stay! And after making this healthy avocado oil vinaigrette, we’re hooked.
Related:25 Best Salad Recipes
All about avocado oil
When DeLallo came to us to create a recipe with their extra-virgin avocado oil, we didn’t know much about avocado oil. Healthy avocado oil salad dressing is one place to start, but there are all sorts of ways to use this healthy oil. Here are a few things we learned about avocado oil:
- Avocado oil comes from the first cold press of the fruit, and has all the health benefits of raw avocados. It’s loaded with healthy monosaturated fats and antioxidants, and is a powerhouse of vitamins and minerals.
- The flavor is nutty, buttery, fruity and mildly sweet, just like a fresh avocado.
- The oil is ultra-versatile with a high smoke point, perfect for drizzling, dressing, dipping, marinating and high-heat cooking.
- DeLallo avocado oil is made with fresh handpicked Chilean Hass Avocados and is produced in Chile.
- Each bottle contains the oil of about 12 whole avocados!
Related: 10 Homemade Salad Dressing Recipes
How to make homemade salad dressing with avocado oil
So, how to make homemade salad dressing with avocado oil? It’s essentially the same as other dressings that you whisk together at home, with one caveat. While making this avocado oil vinaigrette, we learned that avocado oil doesn’t act the same way as olive oil. Using the amount of acid (citrus or vinegar) we’d typically use in an olive oil dressing resulted in a watery consistency when we used avocado oil. There was no emulsion, so the dressing didn’t stick to the salad greens. So in our avocado oil vinaigrette recipe, we’ve cut the vinegar and added more Dijon mustard to carry the texture! The resulting avocado oil vinaigrette is perfectly creamy and tart, perfect for any salad.
Another great salad dressing: Lemon Tahini Sauce
What’s a California salad?
To go with our healthy avocado oil salad dressing, we came up with this California salad. We made up the name California salad, since it’s loosely based on a salad we had in LA while on book tour in California! While our salad ended up pretty different from the original one, it’s incredibly delicious and a perfect way to show off the flavor of the avocado oil and vinegar dressing. The salad features greens, chickpeas, fresh dill, and ricotta salata cheese, a delicious cheese we ate on several salads in California and loved. If you can’t find ricotta salata cheese, feta crumbles work as well.
Also, all of the fresh salad ingredients here were purchased at our local farmer’s market and grown by our favorite farmers at Full Hand Farm. So I guess you could call our version an Indiana Salad…? Make sure to shop local where possible!
How about you: have you tried avocado oil? Would you make this healthy avocado oil salad dressing? Let us know in the comments below! As always, show us on Instagram if you make our salad or dressing by tagging @acouplecooks and @delallofoods.
How to find avocado oil
DeLallo is our favorite avocado oil, and good news! You can find it online here, or in a local grocery that carries DeLallo products.
Looking for more healthy side dish recipes?
This California salad with avocado oil vinaigrette is a tasty healthy side dish recipe; here are a few more side dish recipes on A Couple Cooks:
- Crispy Sweet Potato Fries
- Seasoned Baked Potato Wedges
- Incredible No Mayo Potato Salad
- Smoky Ranch Wedge Salad with Potato Chips
- Strawberry Salad with Balsamic Vinaigrette
- Shaved Brussels Sprout Salad with Pomegranate
- Best Popovers Recipe
- Easy Superfood Salad
- Cucumber Salad with Vinegar
- Classic Vegan Potato Salad
- Best Tossed Salad Recipe
- French Potato Salad
- Nicoise Salad
- Strawberry Spinach Salad
- Homemade Croutons Recipe
This recipe is…
This California salad with avocado oil vinaigrette is vegetarian, gluten free, naturally sweet, and refined sugar free. For vegan and plant based, omit the cheese.Print
Avocado is the new trendy oil–but it’s here to stay! Here’s how to make a delicious avocado oil vinaigrette.
For the avocado oil vinaigrette
- 1/3 cup DeLallo Extra Virgin Avocado Oil
- 1/2 tablespoon white wine vinegar
- 1 tablespoon fresh lemon juice
- 2 tablespoons Dijon mustard
- 1 teaspoon maple syrup
- 1/2 small garlic clove, grated
- 1/4 teaspoon kosher salt
- Fresh ground pepper
For the salad
- 1 to 2 heads Boston lettuce or fresh high-quality local baby greens, enough for 8 cups
- 2 carrots
- 2 green onions
- 4 radishes
- 15-ounce can chickpeas, optional
- 1/4 cup sliced almonds
- Torn fresh dill
- Ricotta salata, sliced or feta crumbles (omit for vegan)
- For the avocado oil vinaigrette: Measure out the avocado oil into a glass measuring cup. In a medium bowl, whisk together the white wine vinegar, lemon juice, Dijon mustard, maple syrup, grated garlic, kosher salt, and fresh ground pepper. Then gradually pour in the avocado oil, whisking constantly, until fully integrated and a creamy emulsion forms.
- Wash and dry the lettuce and chop it into bite-sized pieces (if using baby greens, no chopping is necessary). Use a vegetable peeler to peel the carrots into ribbons. Thinly slice the green onions and radishes.
- If using chickpeas, drain and rinse them, then mix them with a drizzle of avocado oil, 1/4 teaspoon kosher salt, and fresh ground pepper.
- To assemble the salad, place the greens on the serving bowls or plates. Top with chickpeas, carrots, radishes, almonds, torn fresh dill, and ricotta salata or feta crumbles, then drizzle with avocado oil vinaigrette.
- Category: Salad, Side Dish
- Method: Raw
- Cuisine: American
Keywords: Salad, Avocado Oil Dressing, Avocado Oil Vinaigrette, Avocado Oil, How to Make Homemade Dressing with Avocado Oil, Homemade Dressing, Healthy Avocado Oil Dressing, Healthy Salad, Side Salad, Summer Salad
About the Authors
Cookbook Author and writer
Sonja Overhiser is author of Pretty Simple Cooking, named one of the best healthy cookbooks of 2018. She’s host of the food podcast Small Bites and founder of the food blog A Couple Cooks. Featured from the TODAY Show to Bon Appetit, Sonja seeks to inspire adventurous eating to make the world a better place one bite at a time.
Cookbook Author and photographer
Alex Overhiser is an acclaimed food photographer and author based in Indianapolis. He’s host of the food podcast Small Bites and founder of the recipe website A Couple Cooks. Featured from the TODAY Show to Bon Appetit, Alex is author of Pretty Simple Cooking, named one of the best vegetarian cookbooks by Epicurious.