This post may include affiliate links; for details, see our disclosure policy.
What’s the best egg substitute for baking? Whether you’re making cookies or cornbread, we’ve got answers (plus, a vegan egg substitute).
Looking to substitute eggs in baking? It’s not an easy task! Eggs are important for the overall texture and structure of baked goods. Egg is often used as a binder in recipes, meaning that it holds the entire baked good together. It also acts as a leavener to help the baked good rise.
Of course, it’s best to use an egg if at all possible. But if you don’t have any on hand or want a vegan egg substitute, we’ve got answers too! Here are a few egg substitutes for baking.
Best egg substitute for baking
1. Flax egg (vegan egg substitute)
Flax egg is commonly used as a vegan egg substitute. Mixing ground flax seeds with water makes a gel-like substance that works as a binder. For each egg, mix together 1 tablespoon ground flax seed + 2 ½ tablespoons water and let sit for 15 minutes. (Here’s more on how to make a flax egg.)
The texture is a little different when using flax egg versus egg: you’ll get a richer, more savory flavor with egg. But it works well structurally!
Works in: Brownies, cake, cookies, cornbread, muffins, quick breads
2. Applesauce egg substitute
Applesauce can be used as an egg substitute for baking: it also works as a binder in baked goods. The ratio is to substitute ¼ cup applesauce for every 1 egg.
Because applesauce has a lot of moisture, it’s not recommended for cookies because it makes them too soft. Note that with applesauce, baked goods won’t brown as deeply.
Works in: Brownies, cake, muffins, cornbread, quick breads
Here are some of our recipes favorite that use flax egg or applesauce as a substitute for egg in baking:
- Vegan Pumpkin Bread This cozy quick bread uses a flax egg to make it vegan.
- Best Vegan Zucchini Bread Flax egg also binds together this zucchini bread.
- Vegan Apple Streusel Muffins Here applesauce helps to bind together these apple muffins with crunchy topping.
- Healthy Pumpkin Muffins Applesauce also holds together these pumpkin muffins.
- Best Homemade Cornbread (or Easy Vegan Cornbread) Our cornbread recipes are specially formulated to not need egg at all!