Here are all the best yellow squash recipes! Summer squash is fantastic whether it’s grilled, roasted, or baked in a casserole.
Yellow squash is one of summer’s best vegetables: a healthy, delicious veggie to add to your mealtime repertoire! It can be overshadowed by it’s more popular cousin, the mighty zucchini. But the summer squash as it’s also known, can hold it’s own. You can eat it raw or cooked, and it’s low in calories and full of vitamin C. The most exciting thing about it is the many ways you can transform it into a meal.
Here are some of the best yellow squash recipes to get this veggie onto your plate. Make it into a cozy casserole, roast it until tender, or throw it onto the grill to infuse it with smoky flavor. Whichever summer squash recipe you choose…you’re in for a treat!
And now…5 yellow squash recipes to try!
Yellow squash nutrition
Is yellow squash healthy? What’s the nutrition info for summer squash? Turns out, this humble squash can be more than just a back-up dancer to zucchini! Yellow squash is:
- Low in calories. 1 cup sliced raw summer squash has 18 calories.
- High in Vitamin C. 1 cup raw squash has 32% of your daily need for Vitamin C. (source)
- High in other vitamins. Summer squash is also high in vitamins A, B6, folate, magnesium, riboflavin, phosphorus, and potassium. (source)
What else to do with summer squash?
None of these ideas strike your fancy? Here are a few other summer squash recipes to try:
- Thread it on veggie skewers. Try these Greek Grilled Veggie Skewers.
- Use it raw in salad. Make this Squash & Zucchini Ribbon Salad.
- Throw it on a pizza. Sauté it following these instructions before topping.
Roasted yellow squash is the perfect way to serve it! This easy method bakes summer squash with Parmesan and Italian herbs.
- 2 pounds squash (about 4 to 5 medium small)
- 2 tablespoons olive oil
- 1 teaspoon garlic powder
- 1 teaspoon onion powder
- 1 teaspoon oregano
- 1 teaspoon basil
- 1 teaspoon kosher salt
- 1/2 cup shredded Parmesan cheese (optional)
- Preheat the oven to 425 degrees Fahrenheit.
- Slice the squash into 1/4-inch thick rounds. In a large bowl, mix them with the olive oil, garlic powder, onion powder, oregano, basil, and kosher salt.
- Line two baking sheets with parchment paper. Place the vegetables in a single layer on the baking sheets. Roast for 8 minutes.
- Remove the baking sheets from the oven and sprinkle evenly with the shredded Parmesan cheese. Return the sheets to the oven (on the opposite oven racks) and bake another 10 to 12 minutes until tender and the cheese is melted. Taste and add additional salt as necessary (we usually add another sprinkle). Serve immediately.
- Category: Side Dish
- Method: Roasted
- Cuisine: American
Keywords: Yellow squash recipes, summer squash recipes
About the Authors
Sonja Overhiser is author of Pretty Simple Cooking, named one of the best healthy cookbooks of 2018. She’s host of the food podcast Small Bites and founder of the food blog A Couple Cooks. Featured from the TODAY Show to Bon Appetit, Sonja seeks to inspire adventurous eating to make the world a better place one bite at a time.
Alex Overhiser is an acclaimed food photographer and author based in Indianapolis. He’s host of the food podcast Small Bites and founder of the recipe website A Couple Cooks. Featured from the TODAY Show to Bon Appetit, Alex is author of Pretty Simple Cooking, named one of the best vegetarian cookbooks by Epicurious.