We couldn’t resist with our pizza-themed giveaway not to give you a holiday pizza idea! While cookie decorating is not our forte, we may have found our niche in themed pizzas (there’s got to be a market for this somewhere!).
This pizza is a mix of everything we love on a pizza – basil pesto (frozen from this summer), spinach, red onion, and sundried tomatoes, with just a dusting of cheese. Since we were trying to get the beautiful green of the Christmas tree to shine through, we used less cheese than normal – which actually helped to highlight the flavor of the pesto. I found it surprisingly delicious, since we were honestly going more for looks with this one!
Give it a try if you’re looking for a fun holiday treat – and don’t forget to enter the giveaway to win your very own pizza stone and pizza peel to help with the process!
Click here for a chance to win!Print
- 1 pizza dough
- 1/2 cup pesto (frozen from summer, or store-bought)
- A few cups spinach
- A few handfuls shredded mozzarella or pizza blend cheese
- 6 to 8 sundried tomatoes, packed in oil
- 1 red onion
- Kosher salt
- Prepare the dough using either the stand mixer or food processor methods (you also can knead by hand; follow this videoinstruction for more). Follow the preparation instructions in the dough recipe if prepared in advance.
- Place your pizza stone in the oven and preheat to 500°F.
- Prepare the toppings: Chiffonade the spinach. Finely slice the red onion. Drain and slice the sundried tomatoes in half.
- When the oven is ready, stretch the dough into a triangle shape; use a pizza cutter if necessary to create a tree shape (use the scraps for the tree trunk). Place it on a floured pizza peel or pull the pizza stone out of the oven and carefully place the dough on it.
- Quickly assemble the pizza: Thinly spread a bit of pesto over the dough, then sprinkle on as much mozzarella cheese as you like. Top with spinach, red onion, and sundried tomatoes in an artistic pattern. Sprinkle with a bit of kosher salt.
- Bake the pizza: Transfer the pizza to the oven, and bake until the cheese and crust are nicely browned, about 5 to 7 minutes.