Making this Christmas pizza recipe with pesto and veggie ornaments is the perfect holiday time tradition, especially with kids!
- 1 ball Best Pizza Dough (or Food Processor Dough or Thin Crust Dough)
- 1 red pepper
- 1/2 red onion
- 1/2 cup basil pesto (purchased, homemade or vegan pesto)
- 2 cups shredded mozzarella cheese
- Kosher salt
- Follow the Best Pizza Dough recipe to prepare the dough. (This takes about 15 minutes to make and 45 minutes to rest.)
- Place a pizza stone in the oven and preheat to 500°F. If you don’t have a pizza stone, you can build the pizza on a baking sheet.
- Prepare the toppings: Dice the red pepper. Thinly slice the red onion, then rinse it under cool water and pat it dry (which removes some of the bite).
- Place the dough on the pizza peel: When the oven is ready, dust a pizza peel with cornmeal or semolina flour, or do so on a baking sheet. (If you want to use a pizza stone but don’t have a peel, you can use a rimless baking sheet or the back of a rimmed baking sheet to slide it onto a stone, but the tree shape can be difficult to slide. A conveyor pizza peel works very well for larger trees like the one pictured.) Roll out the dough into a triangle shape, adding a small rectangle for a trunk. Place the dough on the pizza peel, or onto the baking sheet.
- Quickly top the pizza: Spread a thin layer of pesto, then sprinkle with cheese. Add the “decorations” of red onions and peppers. Sprinkle with kosher salt.
- Bake the pizza: Transfer the pizza to the pizza stone using the pizza peel, or place the baking sheet in the oven. Bake until the cheese is melted, about 5 to 7 minutes. Allow to cool slightly, then serve.
- Category: Main Dish
- Method: Baked
- Cuisine: Italian
- Diet: Vegetarian
Keywords: Christmas pizza