This creamy salsa dressing is a quick trick: it makes a healthy salad dressing in 2 minutes! Prepare to be amazed.
Here’s a quick trick every home cook should know: Creamy Salsa Dressing! This salad dressing takes 2 minutes to whip up and has big, zesty flavor with a minimal ingredient list. It’s great for throw together bowl meals or a great big taco salad. The best part? It’s very low calorie due to a secret ingredient. This healthy salad dressing has lots going for it, and we love whipping it up on weeknights as a quick fix for a side salad or a drizzle for a bowl meal.
Ingredients in creamy salsa dressing
This creamy salsa dressing has just a few ingredients for big flavor! In fact, all you need are four ingredients, plus salt. Here’s the short ingredient list (or jump to the recipe below):
- Red salsa, mild or medium: though of course you can use any favorite salsa
- Greek yogurt
- Sour cream (or 2 tablespoons mayonnaise)
- Hot sauce (we like Cholula)
Why to use Greek yogurt
Greek yogurt is our favorite for dips and creamy salad dressings for a few reasons. Here’s why it’s worth grabbing at the store for this dressing:
- Greek yogurt has a creamy texture and tangy flavor. It’s just as good as sour cream, the traditional ingredient used in creamy dressings.
- Greek yogurt is much lower in calories than sour cream. It cuts calories by a third: 1 cup of sour cream is 445 calories vs 1 cup of Greek yogurt is 100 calories.
- This dressing has only 18 calories per tablespoon. That’s unheard of in the salad dressing realm! You’ll still need a hint of sour cream here; it’s helpful to add richness and fat.
Some swaps and variations
It’s possible you might not want to stock both Greek yogurt and sour cream for this creamy salsa dressing, or maybe you want a dairy-free swap? Here are some ideas:
- Swap the sour cream for mayo. You can use 2 tablespoons mayo instead of ¼ cup sour cream.
- Use vegan yogurt and vegan mayo. It works if you have brands you love.
- Even better, try half salsa half cashew cream. Cashew cream is a delightfully creamy homemade vegan substitute for sour cream. It’s worth whipping up a batch!
Ways to serve creamy salsa dressing
This creamy salsa dressing goes perfectly on a taco salad, but there are lots more ways to use it! Here are some ideas:
- Taco salad like Ultimate Taco Salad or Easy Vegan Taco Salad
- Mexican-inspired salads like Easy Mexican Salad
- Green salads like Spring Mix Salad or Tossed Salad
- Bowl meals like Easy Rice Bowl or Shrimp Bowl
- ½ cup red salsa (mild or medium)
- ½ cup Greek yogurt*
- ¼ cup sour cream (or 2 tablespoons mayonnaise)
- 1 teaspoon hot sauce (optional; we like Cholula brand)
- 2 pinches kosher salt
- Mix together all ingredients. Taste and adjust seasonings as desired. Stored refrigerated in a sealed container for up to 1 week.
- Category: Dressing
- Method: No Cook
- Cuisine: Salad Dressing
- Diet: Vegetarian
Keywords: Creamy salsa dressing