This post may include affiliate links; for details, see our disclosure policy.
Don’t have time to pick up some buttermilk? Here’s the best buttermilk substitute to use in recipes like pancakes, biscuits, and more.
Buttermilk is a key ingredient in recipes like pancakes and biscuits: but you might not always stock it in your refrigerator! This thick dairy product is common in baking recipes. But why is it needed, and what’s the best buttermilk substitute? Keep reading.
What does buttermilk do in recipes?
Why is buttermilk included in recipes? Couldn’t butter or milk do the trick? This tangy fermented dairy product was traditionally the liquid left over from churning butter (hence “butter milk”). It’s used in recipes for the following reasons:
- It adds a tangy nuance that enhances the flavor.
- It gives a tall rise and helps with leavening! When baking soda and acidified dairy are combined in a batter, they release carbon dioxide bubbles that help lighten whatever you’re making.
Best buttermilk substitute:
Use milk with lemon juice or white vinegar.
The best substitute for buttermilk? The most popular buttermilk substitute out there is using milk plus an acid: either lemon juice or white vinegar. This mimics the tang and acidity of the buttermilk. You can most types of milk: whole milk, 2%, 1% or even non-dairy milks. (Skim milk is less ideal because of its watery texture, but you can use it in a pinch.) Here’s how to do it:
- Combine 1 scant cup milk with 1 tablespoon lemon juice or white vinegar.
- Allow to stand for 5 minutes before using.
Related buttermilk recipes
Here are some recipes where you could use this buttermilk substitution:
- Blueberry Buttermilk Pancakes or Classic Buttermilk Pancakes Stop right there. These are the easiest, fluffiest, tangiest, most tender pancakes. You need them in your life—stat.
- Buttermilk Biscuits Ready for the flakiest, most buttery and tender biscuits? This buttermilk biscuit recipe is a true gem—and all your friends will ask for your secrets.
- Classic Strawberry Shortcake Tender, biscuit-like shortcakes meet sweet berries and fluffy homemade whipped cream.
- Best Peach Cobbler Cinnamon-y sweet peaches are topped with flaky ricotta biscuits: and we dare you to eat just one bite.