This watermelon salad with mint and lime could not be simpler or more refreshing! It’s quick, simple, and impresses everyone.
Here’s the most deliciously refreshing salad for the summer: watermelon salad! There are lots of variations on this concept, but this one’s our favorite. Why? It comes together in minutes with just 3 ingredients: and it truly transforms this juicy fruit into a masterpiece. Zingy lime makes magic with the sweet melon, and fresh mint adds a cooling essence on the finish. We served this to friends at a summer cookout, and they exclaimed, “What’s in this?”
Ingredients in the best watermelon salad
Move over, Watermelon Feta Salad. This watermelon salad has got you beat! Don’t get us wrong: we love the pairing of salty, savory cheese with sweet melon. But honestly, we prefer this recipe. It’s even simpler and more refreshing. Here are the three ingredients you need:
- Ripe watermelon
- Lime juice
- Fresh mint
All you’ve got to do? Chop up the melon, chop up the mint, and add the lime juice. Simple as that!
Best way to cut a watermelon
When you’re faced with a massive watermelon and a huge Chef’s knife, what to do? We’ve been there, and we know it’s daunting. What’s the best way to cut this massive fruit? There are lots of methods, but here’s the best way we’ve found to cut a watermelon:
- Slice the watermelon in half around the middle. Don’t do it lengthwise!
- Lay it on the flat side, and cut slices.
- Use a pairing knife to cut off the rind. A smaller knife helps you have more control.
- Make a grid pattern to cut it into cubes. That’s it!
Variations on watermelon salad
A summery watermelon salad has many variations and adders! We’ve made a few different variations that we love. Here are a few adders:
- Sea salt: Top with flaky sea salt.
- Feta cheese: The classic Watermelon Feta Salad is a revelation
- Cucumber: Pair this cooling veggie in Watermelon Cucumber Salad
- Red onion or shallot: Top with onion for a spicy kick
- Basil: Use basil instead of mint
- Lemon or lime zest: Add another citrus twist
Find a ripe watermelon!
The best advice for any watermelon recipe? Grab a ripe watermelon! It’s essential to getting the beautifully sweet flavor: no amount of added sugar can save it. Here’s how to get the best ripe watermelon:
- Shop in watermelon season. If it’s out of season, it’s much more likely to be unripe.
- Look for a yellow field spot. Most watermelons should have a patch on the bottom, which is where they were resting on the ground before being picked. If the patch is yellow, the watermelon is ripe (if it’s white, it’s unripe).
Storage and make ahead info for watermelon salad
A whole watermelon lasts for up to 10 days at room temperature. But chopping up the watermelon decreases its shelf life. Once you’ve cut it into cubes, a watermelon lasts about 2 to 3 days in the refrigerator. It also gives off a lot of liquid, so we recommend eating it as close to the time you cut it as possible.
You can store this watermelon salad for up to 2 days refrigerated, but it’s best when it’s fresh! It gives off quite a bit of liquid as it chills, so try to eat it as soon as possible.
More summer salad recipes
Salads are king in the summer, and this one is one of our top choices! Here are a few more of our top summery salads to make this time of year:
- Mix up an easy Easy Tortellini Salad or Antipasto Salad
- Use the season’s corn with Elote Salad or Corn Salad
- Go classic with Three Bean Salad
- Make the easiest Quick Black Bean and Corn Salad
- Mix up Broccoli Salad or Broccoli Slaw
This watermelon salad recipe is…
Vegetarian, vegan, plant-based, dairy-free, and gluten-free.Print
- 8 cups cubed ripe seedless watermelon (about 5 pounds or 1/2 medium melon)
- ¼ cup lime juice
- 2 tablespoons chopped fresh mint (1 large handful), plus more for garnish
- Chop the watermelon. Place it in a large bowl and sprinkle with the lime juice and chopped mint. Toss until well coated, then place on a platter.
- Garnish with additional mint leaves. Serve immediately or chill 1 to 2 hours until serving (best as fresh as possible).
- Category: Salad
- Method: Chopped
- Cuisine: Vegan
- Diet: Vegan
Keywords: Watermelon salad, watermelon mint salad