Got a bunch of beets and not sure how to keep them fresh? Here’s everything about how to store beets (and some recipes, too!).
What’s the best way to keep beets fresh? The other day, Alex and I came home with 3 bunches of beets from the farmers market. We had all sorts of beet recipes planned: beet hummus, beet salad, and oven roasted beets. But how to store beets so that they’d stay good for weeks? Here’s everything you need to know about storing beets!
How to store beets
Got a bunch of beets and not sure how to keep them fresh? Here's everything about how to store beets (and some recipes, too!).
- Sealed food storage containers or silicone food storage bags
- Wash the beets.
- Cut off the stems of the greens, leaving about 2 inches attached to the beets.
- Place the beets into a sealed storage container or silicone food storage bags. Then place the bag into the produce drawer in your refrigerator. They'll stay fresh up to 2 weeks.
- Take the beet greens and store them separately in a sealed storage container. Store in the produce drawer for 3 to 5 days. You can use them in recipes like this best recipe for beet greens.
How to use beets in recipes
Now that you know how to store beets, you need recipes! Here are some of our favorite beet recipes (you can even use the beet greens!). Keep reading for all the best ways to use this healthy vegetable.
- Beet Salad with Balsamic Dressing Roasted beets, creamy balsamic dressing, tangy goat cheese, pistachios and sliced shallot.
- Roasted Beets with Goat Cheese Earthy, tender beets paired with creamy goat cheese and topped with fresh chives? Perfection.
- Creamy Beet Hummus This electric pink hummus is vibrant and tastes just as lovely as it looks.
- Best Recipe for Beet Greens! This beet greens recipe is the best way to turn those leafy greens into a nutritious meal! You won’t believe the flavor in this hearty Parmesan omelette.
- Beet & Blue Cheese Salad Here’s a fun way to use your beet greens and beets all at once, in salad form! The blue cheese is the perfect sharp flavor pairing.
- Beet and Apple Salad Roasted beets + green apples + honey mustard dressing = Heavenly.
About the Authors
Sonja Overhiser is author of Pretty Simple Cooking, named one of the best healthy cookbooks of 2018. She’s host of the food podcast Small Bites and founder of the food blog A Couple Cooks. Featured from the TODAY Show to Bon Appetit, Sonja seeks to inspire adventurous eating to make the world a better place one bite at a time.
Alex Overhiser is an acclaimed food photographer and author based in Indianapolis. He’s host of the food podcast Small Bites and founder of the recipe website A Couple Cooks. Featured from the TODAY Show to Bon Appetit, Alex is author of Pretty Simple Cooking, named one of the best vegetarian cookbooks by Epicurious.