This baked Eggplant Parmesan is truly incredible: coated in a crispy crust that’s magically gluten free. You’ll never make it another way!
- 1 medium large eggplant, about 1 pound (long and thin preferable) OR see casserole variation*
- 2 eggs
- 1/2 cup grated Parmesan cheese
- 1/2 cup almond flour
- 1 tablespoon Italian seasoning (or 1 teaspoon each dried basil, oregano and thyme)
- 3/4 teaspoon kosher salt
- 2 cups jarred marinara sauce
- 1 cup grated mozzarella cheese (we used a combination of fresh mozzarella and shredded)
- Fresh basil, to serve
- Preheat the oven to 425 degrees Fahrenheit. Line a baking sheet with parchment paper or spray with cooking spray.
- Cut off the ends of the eggplant and cut it into 3/8-inch slices.
- Beat the eggs in a shallow bowl and set it aside.
- Combine the Parmesan cheese, almond flour, Italian seasoning, and kosher salt in another shallow bowl and set it aside.
- Dip each eggplant slice into the egg and then the Parmesan cheese mixture. Transfer the coated eggplant slices to the prepared sheet pan in a single layer, about 1/2-inch apart. Use two sheet pans if you do not have one large enough to fit all the slices.
- Bake the eggplant for about 20 minutes, flipping them halfway through, until tender and golden brown.
- Remove the eggplant from the oven (go to Casserole Variation* if desired). Add 2 tablespoons of the marinara sauce on top of each eggplant slice and add an equal amount of mozzarella cheese on top of the sauce.
- Return the pan to the oven and continue to bake for 5 to 7 minutes, or until the cheese is melted and the crust is golden brown. Top with torn basil. Serve with pasta (gluten free or legume pasta) or a few side dishes, or the casserole variation makes for a more filling main dish.
Reprinted with permission from One-Pot Keto Cooking by Charlotte Smythe
*Casserole variation: Double the recipe and use 2 pounds of eggplant and double the breading ingredients. After baking for 20 minutes until tender, spread 1/2 cup marinara sauce on the bottom of a 9 x 13″ pan. Place half the baked eggplant in a layer on the bottom, then top with 1 cup marinara and 1 cup shredded mozzarella cheese. Add the second layer of eggplant with another 1 cup marinara and 1 cup shredded mozzarella. Bake 20 minutes until the cheese melts, then top with torn fresh basil leaves.
- Category: Main Dish
- Method: Baked
- Cuisine: Italian inspired
- Diet: Vegetarian
Keywords: Baked eggplant parmesan, Eggplant parmesan