A sale on lettuce at our local winter farmer’s market a few weeks ago ($1.50 per head!) made us wonder — what to do with lettuce other than a salad? The first thing that came to mind was lettuce wraps – so we thought we’d give them a try.
We were feeling adventurous, so we thought we’d go for it and incorporate the one “vegetarian” ingredient we rarely work with. Yes, tofu. Some of you may cringe in disgust at the thought, but it actually can be quite delicious, when cooked properly. Without seasoning it’s pretty rubbery and tasteless, but combined with the right flavors it’s spot on — especially here in a spicy, crunchy lettuce wrap.
The cooking method for the tofu is quite easy and just involves sauteing it with some soy sauce, chili powder, and Sriracha. It’s a good beginner tofu recipe, if you’re looking to give it a try. We added some cashews for protein and loaded up on rice, which make the wraps a bit more filling.
Thanks to Eden Farms for the delicious lettuce!
- 1 package tofu (organic, if possible)
- 1 cup frozen corn
- 1 tablespoon chili powder
- 3 tablespoons soy sauce
- ½ teaspoon hot sauce (Sriracha)
- ½ cup cashew halves
- 2 carrots
- Several small heads of young lettuce
- 2 cups uncooked brown rice (or about 4 cups cooked rice)
- *If serving for a main item for 4 hungry eaters, you may want to double the quantities above; or, make sure to have enough rice and serve something alongside the wraps. .
- Cook 2 cups brown rice, according to the package instructions.
- Drain the tofu by wrapping it in a paper towel, placing it on a plate, and covering it with a heavy object for 5 minutes or more.
- In a large non-stick skillet, heat 1 tablespoon oil. Add the tofu and break down it into very small pieces with a spatula. Saute for about 15 minutes, until brown.
- Add 1 cup frozen corn and stir for a few minutes, until most of the liquid has cooked out of the tofu.
- Add 1 tablespoon chili powder and ½ cup cashew halves, and stir to combine. Add 3 tablespoons soy sauce and ½ teaspoon hot sauce (Sriracha) and stir until liquid is absorbed. Remove from heat.
- Meanwhile, peel and grate 2 carrots. Wash and remove the lettuce leaves.
- To serve, place rice, tofu cashew mixture, and grated carrots within a lettuce leaf, and roll up the leaf.