These delicious and healthy vegan lettuce wraps have a spicy filling full of plant based proteins: brown rice, spiced tofu, and cashews.
- 2 cups uncooked brown rice
- 1 package organic tofu
- 1 tablespoon olive oil
- 1 cup frozen corn
- 1 tablespoon chili powder
- 1/2 cup cashew halves
- 3 tablespoons soy sauce
- 1/2 teaspoon hot sauce (Sriracha)
- 2 carrots
- 3 small heads lettuce (or 1 large)
- Best Tahini Sauce, Cashew Cream, or Cilantro Sauce, to serve (optional)
- Cook the brown rice, according to the package instructions or use our Instant Pot method. When its done, season the rice with some kosher salt and a drizzle of olive oil.
- Drain the tofu by wrapping it in a paper towel, placing it on a plate, and covering it with a heavy object for 5 minutes or more.
- In a large non-stick skillet, heat the olive oil. Add the tofu and it break down it into very small pieces with a spatula. Sauté for about 15 minutes, until brown.
- Add the frozen corn and stir for a few minutes until most of the liquid has cooked out of the tofu. Add the chili powder and cashew halves, and stir to combine. Add the soy sauce and hot sauce and stir until liquid is absorbed. Remove from heat.
- Meanwhile, peel and grate the carrots (we use this Handheld Julienne Peeler). Wash and dry the lettuce leaves.
- To serve, place rice, tofu cashew mixture, and grated carrots within a lettuce leaf, and roll up the leaf.
*If serving as a main item for 4 hungry eaters, you may want to double this recipe.
- Category: Main Dish
- Method: Stovetop
- Cuisine: American
Keywords: Vegan Lettuce Wraps, Healthy Lettuce Wraps