It’s hard to tire of summer produce! We’ve only been eating seasonally for a few years, but we can’t imagine getting tired of juicy Indiana tomatoes or peaches.
This weekend was a special weekend that called for a special meal — my mom was in town visiting from Minnesota for a Girl’s Weekend! We had a total blast visiting our favorite Indy haunts…including Broad Ripple Farmer’s Market, where we picked up some amazing heirloom tomatoes and perfectly ripe peaches.
Inspired by the Peach Panzanella we had the night before at Bluebeard restaurant and this summer panzanella from Laura at The First Mess (so cute!), we originally though we’d try our hand at a panzanella, an Italian salad made with dried-out bread cubes. However, since we didn’t have any old bread on hand, the thought of buying bread and turning on our oven to dry it out just didn’t appeal in the heat!
So, we turned the idea into a salad and substituted cannellini beans for the bread cubes (which makes it a gluten-free option too, if you’re looking for that!). The salad turned out perfect, the sweet peach a perfect balance for the tomatoes, along with the bite of the basil, and a slightly sweet vinaigrette of sherry vinegar and honey.
The salad was a great accompaniment to our meal! We’re also excited to share the dessert course with you sometime soon.
We couldn’t have had a more idyllic weekend – the weather was gorgeous and the food delightful — a beautiful weekend to spend celebrating time as mother and daughter!
- Serves 4 to 6
- What You Need
- 2 large peaches
- 2 large tomatoes
- ½ red onion
- 15-ounce can cannellini beans (or 1½ cups cooked)
- ½ cup packed fresh basil leaves
- ¼ cup feta crumbles
- 2 tablespoons sherry vinegar (or substitute red wine or white wine vinegar)
- 2 tablespoons olive oil
- 1 tablespoon honey
- Kosher salt
- Fresh ground pepper
- Thinly slice the ½ red onion. Place it in a small bowl and cover in cold water. Squeeze the onion slices and release 5 to 6 times. Drain the water, and repeat the squeeze and rinse 2 more times. Then place the slices back in the bowl and cover with cold water while you assemble the salad. (This process helps to tone down the bite of the red onion.)
- Dice the peaches. Dice the tomatoes. Cut the basil into thin strips (chiffonade). Drain and rinse the beans.
- In a canning jar, pour 2 tablespoons sherry vinegar, 2 tablespoons olive oil, 1 tablespoon honey, 2 pinches kosher salt, and some fresh ground pepper. Shake vigorously to combine.
- Drain the onions and squeeze them dry. In a large bowl, mix together tomatoes, peaches, beans, basil, red onion, and dressing gently together. Add a few additional pinches kosher salt and fresh ground pepper. Sprinkle with crumbled feta cheese.