It’s hard to tire of summer produce! We’ve only been eating seasonally for a few years, but we can’t imagine getting tired of juicy Indiana tomatoes or peaches.
This weekend was a special weekend that called for a special meal — my mom was in town visiting from Minnesota for a Girl’s Weekend! We had a total blast visiting our favorite Indy haunts…including Broad Ripple Farmer’s Market, where we picked up some amazing heirloom tomatoes and perfectly ripe peaches.
Inspired by the Peach Panzanella we had the night before at Bluebeard restaurant and this summer panzanella from Laura at The First Mess (so cute!), we originally though we’d try our hand at a panzanella, an Italian salad made with dried-out bread cubes. However, since we didn’t have any old bread on hand, the thought of buying bread and turning on our oven to dry it out just didn’t appeal in the heat!
So, we turned the idea into a salad and substituted cannellini beans for the bread cubes (which makes it a gluten-free option too, if you’re looking for that!). The salad turned out perfect, the sweet peach a perfect balance for the tomatoes, along with the bite of the basil, and a slightly sweet vinaigrette of sherry vinegar and honey.
The salad was a great accompaniment to our meal! We’re also excited to share the dessert course with you sometime soon.
We couldn’t have had a more idyllic weekend – the weather was gorgeous and the food delightful — a beautiful weekend to spend celebrating time as mother and daughter!
- ½ red onion
- 2 large peaches
- 2 large tomatoes
- 15-ounce can cannellini beans (or 1½ cups cooked)
- ½ cup packed fresh basil leaves
- 2 tablespoons sherry vinegar (or red or white wine vinegar)
- 2 tablespoons olive oil
- 1 tablespoon honey
- ¼ cup feta crumbles
- Kosher salt
- Fresh ground pepper
- Thinly slice the red onion; place it in a small bowl and cover in cold water. Squeeze and release the onion slices about 5 to 6 times; drain the water and repeat the squeeze and rinse cycle 2 more times. Place the slices back in the bowl and cover with cold water while assembling the salad.
- Dice the peaches and tomatoes. Drain and rinse the beans. Slice the basil into thin strips.
- In a small bowl, whisk together sherry vinegar, olive oil, honey, 2 pinches kosher salt, and several grinds fresh ground pepper.
- Drain the onions and squeeze them dry. In a large bowl, gently mix together onions with tomatoes, peaches, beans, basil, and dressing, and a few pinches kosher salt. Sprinkle with crumbled feta cheese and serve.