We taught a raised bed gardening class a few weeks ago, and there was quite an excitement about kale. Seems like within the past few years, kale has become the new buzzword synonymous with health food.
Being a dark-leafy grain that’s high in nutrients, kale is pretty darn healthy (at least, that’s what we’ve read). So we’ve been cooking up a bunch of treats lately with kale since it’s in season here in Indiana – first these potatoes, and now this pizza.
We must admit, if you’re looking for “healthy”, this raw kale salad is probably more up your alley. But we’re up for any consumption of kale, be it raw or cheese-covered!
This pizza was the highlight of a recent meal with some dear friends. The combination of flavors and textures hit the spot. We have been incorporating nuts in our pizzas for a while, and love the added crunch! If you’re not a pistachio fan, you could try another nut, like walnuts, or omit the nuts altogether.
Our Favorite Kale Recipes
Spicy Kale Lasagna
Loaded Sweet Potato Skins with Kale
Kale and Artichoke Frittata
Mashed Potatoes with Kale and Garlic
Garlic and Kale Soup
Kale, Sweet Potato, and Chickpea Stew
More Pizza Recipes
Roasted Red Pepper Pita Pizzas
Video: Easy Homemade Pizza Dough
Pizza Crust – Stand Mixer Method
Pizza Crust – Food Processor Method
- 1 pizza dough
- 3 garlic cloves
- ½ red onion
- 6 to 8 leaves kale
- ¼ cup pistachios
- ½ cup crushed San Marzano tomatoes
- 1 cup Italian blend or mozzarella cheese, shredded
- Kosher salt
- Olive oil
- Prepare the dough using either the stand mixer or food processor methods (follow the video instructions for more). Follow the preparation instructions in the dough recipe if you’ve made it in advance.
- Place a pizza stone in the oven and preheat to 500°F.
- Mince 3 cloves garlic. Finely slice ½ red onion. Wash the kale leaves, remove the stems, and roughly chop the leaves. In a small skillet, heat a few drizzles of olive oil, then add the kale and saute, stirring, for several minutes until the kale is wilted. Chop the pistachios.
- When the oven is ready, stretch the dough into a circle (see this video for instructions). Place it on a floured pizza peel or pull the pizza stone out of the oven and carefully place the dough on it.
- Thinly spread crushed tomatoes over the dough, then add minced garlic. Top with cheese, then kale, red onion. and pistachios. Sprinkle with a bit of kosher salt.
- Transfer the pizza to the oven and bake until the cheese and crust are nicely browned, 5 to 7 minutes.