We never used to think much about the eggs we bought; I guess we thought of them as being laid by some magical chickens far away. We’ve now realized we have the ability to buy eggs straight from the farmers who raise the hens. While this is something not everyone has access to, for us, it’s been a true pleasure to be able to connect with the people who raise them, and know they have the best in mind!
I had a lovely conversation with Mandy from Schacht Farm yesterday about how she’s living into the dream of farming her grandparents farm.
Another light in our Saturday mornings at the farmer’s market is Anita from Homestead Growers and Local Folks Foods. She’s one of the nicest, most genuine people you’ll meet! We picked up some of her salsa to pair with some eggs and came up with a delicious combination that will likely become a standard in our house!
Paired with salsa and a few avocado slices, these eggs were a savory and delicious mid-day meal – but would work well for breakfast or a light dinner as well. We found that they were perfect with a slight dusting of smoky paprika chipotle seasoning, which gave them just the right kick! (While it might take some digging to find this spice, it’s worth it!)
And while we’re not able to locally source avocados, we did enjoy the treat! Give it a try for a simple meal – and if you can, take the chance to support the famers near you!
- 1 avocado
- ½ tablespoon butter
- 2 eggs
- 1 English muffin
- 2 tablespoons salsa
- Smoky paprika chipotle seasoning (we used Victoria Taylor’s; substitute smoked paprika, paprika, or chipotle powder if not available)
- Kosher salt
- Slice the avocado in half length-wise and remove the pit. With the skin on, cut thin slices, making sure not to cut through the skin. Then, use a spoon to scoop out the slices. Season with a bit of kosher salt.
- In a skillet, heat ½ tablespoon butter over medium heat. Carefully crack the eggs into the skillet. When the bottom is cooked through, gently flip the egg over to cook the top, taking care not to break the yolk. Cook until the whites are firm but the yolk is still runny.
- Toast the English muffin.
- On each muffin half, place slices of avocado, and then sprinkle with smoked chipotle paprika. Top each with an egg, then salsa. Serve immediately.